Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a photosmart 5520 e all in one printer. It will not

I have a photosmart 5520 e all in one printer. It will not now print in black. I have tried 2 different new HP cartridges, when I run the diagnostics it recognises a full cartridge but will not print. If I touch the pad, I get a smudge of black on my finger. All other colours work OK
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No change, ran the status report again still no black
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

I want you please to perform a clean of the printhead.

To do this, please do the following

If no improvements, run this up to 3 times and tell me if it gets it printing correctly please.

1. From the control panel home screen, touch the Settings icon (), and then touch Tools.

2. Touch the Down Arrow (), and then touch Clean Printhead. The product cleans the printheads, and then prints a test page.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no change
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

When it cleaned the printhead, how did that paper look?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no change between the first and the lastprints
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, is the printer under warranty? As the next step will void it if it is.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no its about3-4 years old
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, please follow this instructions guide to remove the print head from the printer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thrZtvAhKm0

Once done, wash and soak it in warm soapy water for 20 minutes then rinse and let it dry out for about 30 minutes)

Then it back in the printer and tell me if black now prints please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
done it but keep getting carriage jam message which I'm trying to fix
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

are you sure it is seated correctly?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorted that, now I'm getting one of the cartridges is missing or damaged, changed red and yellow for new, blue and black are fairly new
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, can you change them then and tell me if it then prints please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
haven't got brand new black or blue, tried the other almost new black, blue was replaced about 3 weeks ago. Can't get past the error screen to find out where the problem is
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, but if it is complaing about one of the cartridges then one of these will be faulty.

You will need to start with Red and Yellow.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've tried swapping round all the cartridges I have but can't shift the error message
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

you have to put in the correct cartridge, you cannot use one colour in another slot sorry, it knows the colour of the cartridge.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I realise that, I've swapped2 blacks 2 reds and 2 yellows, no combination works
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

It is the internal print head that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry