Martin
Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

I have had a Hp Touchscreen 520 for about 4 years and it

Customer Question

Hi I have had a Hp Touchscreen 520 for about 4 years and it seems to have worked well. Yesterday after it had been unplugged for a week as I was on holiday I started it up and did some work. After 45 mins I when to open a new google page when the screen started flashing blue, green , yellow and the fan when into overdrive. After 5 mins I shut it down and reopened and got a loud fan and a black screen. Looked online and tried the info there to reset Bios? But still just got loud fan and black screen. Is it now dead ? Has the master board or the hard drive blown or is it saleable?. I have unplugged all printers, Internet etc and taken any disks out.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Hello, how are you?

Do you recall the computer running updates?

May I connect remotely so I can fix it for you?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did a recent one when I turned it off one night recently. How can u connect remotely as I have no screen to accept you taking over?
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Do you see a little option that says view offer?

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

And are you contacting me from another computer / device?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yup I do £33 . I accept that and you get paid the £34 And £33 or £33 Is the deal? Yup from an iPad
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

I get paid by the website and cannot see how much you pay them but yes accepting it will let me access your other computer so we can work directly from there

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok bear with me on this before I hit offer you are saying even thou I have no screen so can't give you IP address etc u can still gain access and you are confident you can fix it?
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Do you have an external keyboard you can plug into the computer?

I can guide you on how to get the screen back up so I can connect - I would not be able to connect whilst you only have a black screen, no

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only have the wireless one that comes with the touchscreen
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Ok, before you accept anything, just to be sure, can you get a hold of a wired keyboard?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not at this time. Wireless keyboard dongal looks like it's not working either
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds so it shuts down completely then let go, wait 2 seconds and power it back on and tell me what you see on the screen.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fan has gone quite but screen still black
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Anything come up on the screen at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope nothing at all
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

What's the full model of the computer?

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

HP TouchSmart 520?

Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

If so then it's an all in one computer which would mean it's most probably not a screen problem but a hardware issue on the motherboard

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hp touchsmart 520 pic model number(###) ###-####k
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does that mean it's dead and off for repair?
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

It means you either have a bad hard drive or graphics drive, or that the motherboard in general isn't responding and yes you will need to call HP for repair as the problem is physical

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thought bad news I will pay you your cash but a last question I was looking to buy a new pc can I somehow download the hard drive from this computer to the new one if its not the problem?
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

Yes of course, you can have the hard drive contents moved from this old computer to the new one - that will need to be done by a technician as they have to open the computer up

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks that's great. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

You're most welcome!

If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you could take a moment to click on one of the green stars at the top to rate me for my time, it would be greatly appreciated!

Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.

Regards,
Martin

Martin, Network Engineer
Experience: 10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should be ok you confirmed what web saying about these computers . Off to pic world for a new one and see if they can download my work from the dead computer .
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Thanks for the rating and remember you can always come back and ask me if you have any doubts about our session!

Regards,

Martin

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Morning ... Going to take my computer into a replair shop to check motherboard or graphics . Would you have any idea of ball cost if it is one of these? Trying to gauge when it is easier to buy a new pc .
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

I'm not too sure, it depends where you take it and what they end up having to do.

A new motherboard is about $200 - $220 plus whatever they charge you to replace it (if that's the problem).

If you get warranty with it then you might be better off replacing the damaged component, otherwise go with a new one as they're not too much more expensive.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great thanks for your help
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.

You're welcome!