Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

My computer is an HP pavilion x360 convertible which was

Customer Question

My computer is an HP pavilion x360 convertible which was bought in March of this year and yesterday (Friday) it failed to shutdown twice and only shit down when the on/off button was pressed. Since then it will not switch back on but comes up with the message that there is an error code { file:\EFI\microsoft\Boot\BCD Error code:0xc0000034} and the prompt that the manufacturer should be contacted . Hence the call. Can you help?
Category: Computer Hardware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently using another computer to contact you. Please send the solution to me via this machine.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Try this: Hold down the power button to turn the laptop off (if it isn't already)

Press the power button again and immediately begin pressing the Esc key about once per second.

You should get a startup menu. One of the options will be to press F11 for Recovery.

Given the error message you are receiving I'm not positive this will work but we won't know for

sure until it's tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not switching on normally. Currently running windows system32\CHKDSK.exe check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now running check on command prompt
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Let me know when it finishes please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finished. What do you suggest now?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. A BCD error means that the boot sector on the hard drive has become corrupted.

The only way to fix this is to boot from a flash drive containing the Windows 10 installation files.

Microsoft has made it fairly easy to create the flash drive here using the Media Creation Tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

If the laptop is unable to get to the built in recovery options this is the way to fix it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a flash drive?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

It's sometimes called a thumb or pen drive. It plugs in to a USB port and acts as a storage device.

Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Flash-Drives-Storage-Add-Ons/b?ie=UTF8&node=3151491

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that I will have to take the unit back to where I bought it to get it fixed as we can't seem to fix it.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

If you have a computer with an internet connection and a flash drive you can

create a Windows 10 installation flash drive and boot from that using the Media Creation Tool here:

Once you boot from the flash drive you'll have a Repair option in addition to the usual Install option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time but not really helpful to me as only have access to this machine which is itself very temperamental. Solution will be to take it to manufacturer/agent as remote does not work.Hope that you are not charging me for this.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

You can contact Customer Service at 0***-***-****

and they can credit your account.