Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I bought HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw almost exactly a

Customer Question

I bought HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw almost exactly a year ago & it's worked perfectly since then. Until last week when it decided not to print from my PC (still copies, scans etc direct from the printer). I've tried to uninstall/re-install, but the PC won't recognise the printer. Could the connecting cable supplied with the printer have become faulty? If not, what else might you suggest?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Are you using Windows 10 and did the printer stop working after a Windows update?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Using W10 - not sure re Update, as I have it set to work automatically, without telling me
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

You can set your system back to a time when the printer was working using System Restore.

To start it, right-click on the start menu button and select Run.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: rstrui and click OK.

System Restore will launch.

Click "Choose a different restore point" if you see it otherwise click Next.

You'll then see a list of restore points. If you see a box labeled "Show more restore points" click it

to show all available restore points.

Select a restore point with a date when the printer was working and click Next, then Finish

and run the restore. When it completes and the computer has restarted check printing again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've tried restoring to before the last update - no result! Should I try an earlier date? I can't relate the time the printer stopped to an update.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. Please try an earlier restore date and let me know.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

A USB cable failure is pretty rare.

Click the start menu button and open Settings (or click the gear icon)

open Devices

scroll down to the bottom of the page and open Devices and Printers.

You should see your printer listed there.

It should have a green checkmark on it showing it's status as the default printer.

There may be an error showing such as Offline.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

You can also run the Printer troubleshooter.

Click in the search box such that you have a blinking cursor and type: troubleshooting

and open the Troubleshooting - Control Panel search result.

In the upper left corner click View All

You'll see a list of troubleshooters.

Click to run the Printer troubleshooter.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Good morning (at least in my time zone)

Do you have wireless set up in your home or office. We can bypass the USB cable entirely

and try to get the printer connected?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for follow-up. Something I did last evening prompted a message that there was a problem with the Print Spooler (which I had tested before, & seemed to be working!). I downloaded some software which corrected the problem, & the printer now works. Hope it stays that way. Obviously, you can't know everything, but I'm surprised you hadn't suggested that the spooler might be at fault. I appear to have paid 26 pounds for advice that didn't work, and for no advice that did work. Why should that be?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Restoring the computer to a date when you could print implies that the print spooler would be working on that date as well.

You likely clicked on Add a Printer and Windows popped up the message that the spooler service wasn't running.

I'm glad you got it working again. You can contact customer service at this number and they'll

credit your card: 0***-***-****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Byron. I didn't Restore again, as there was just the one restore point visible, and that was the one I'd already used, & re-instated. I'll call the number you gave tomorrow