Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a HP ENVY 5532. It prints documents perfectly from

Customer Question

I have a HP ENVY 5532. It prints documents perfectly from the computer (an iMac) but won't copy or scan independently. When requested the little circular wheel appears stating now copying but nothing happens.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the HP Envy in question?

Has it worked for photocopying or scanning, before this?

Has the printer been moved around a lot? or at all (since it was first unboxed and set up) ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Probably about 4 or 5 years old. It was working perfectly until about a week ago. It has hardly been moved. Ironically as I am asking for your advice having spent my money the unit has stated that I should turn the unit off then on and repeat the request to copy. If it doesn't work it states the scanner is broken which looks to be my answer!

Yes, unfortunately.

With a 4 or 5 years-old HP printer, the answer may well be - if it hasn't been moved/shipped - that the scanner isn't working.

Open the scanner lid, with no document present.

Order a photocopy be made.

What do you see? any light? the bar inside the glass moving perhaps but not lighting up? the bar inside not moving at all but lighting up? the bar inside neither moving nor lighting up?