Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I need an internal/external security video camera for

I need an internal/external security video camera for night/day use in a remote location, which has power but no chance of a broadband connection. I have an EE Hotspot WiFin(UK) gadget, which for a modest cost gives me 8Gb/month internet access. I've tested it on-site and there's reasonable 4G reception. Although there's a large choice of security cameras, which, in theory, I can hook to the WiFi hotspot, I'm concerned that it's going to run above 8Gb/month. I don't need it to stream continuously, perhaps only when triggered by a movement detector, but I do need a warning (and video record) if it detects a possible intruder. Any suggestion on hardware?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great. What do you suggest?

Here is a link to a spy camera available on Amazon that records up to 36 hrs of 720p video on an 8 GB internal SD memory. It has extensive monitoring software that interfaces to a smartphone and/or a computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Digital-Recording-Internet-Detector/dp/B0057HBPSW/ref=sr_1_1/134-8469641-1983837?ie=UTF8&qid=1500814515&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=wifi+motion+detector+camera&psc=1

[You can copy and paste tis link into a new browser window.]

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** far as I can see this is continuous operation, and with video streamed via the WiFi Hotspot it's going to use my monthly allowance extremely quickly. It doesn't offer night vision, and I don't need it to record continuously.

Okay. I will keep looking for a camera with motion detection activation and night vision.

However, the device for which I sent you that link above has a super low-light camera, and it has a built in PIR motion sensor. I assume that you can control it so that it only transmits video when a warm body passes through it s field of view. The recording is an advantage because you can see not only real-time but also what happened previous to the triggering event.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Low light, but not full darkness. Also, it's not for exterior use as it's not weather-proof.

I have another product for you. It is a high-resolution 1080p infrared, night-vision, outdoor, motion-triggered, dual -band wifi surveillance camera with a 16 GB sd card manufactured by REplink. Here is the link, which you can copy and paste into a new browser window: https://reolink.com/product/rlc-411ws/

There are two ways to adapt a motion-triggered surveillance camera to a limited cellular data situation: (1) low resolution and (2) local recording. I have watched enough CSI crime dramas on TV where low-resolution government operated cameras must be combined with magical image enhancement techniques to identify intruders to know that high-resolution is the way to go. And online comparisons between 720p and 1080p have convinced me that you want to invest in a rugged, high-quality 1080p surveillance camera.

I misspelled the name of the manufacturer. It should be Reolink.

If you have any other questions or additional problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. My goal is to provide you with the best possible customer service. If you are satisfied with my advice, please take a moment to rate my services.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, that's helpful.