JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James is a senior IT consultant, with experience in security system and IT.
75967336

I'm tidying-up a XP Pro Toshiba laptop, and attempting to

I'm tidying-up a XP Pro Toshiba laptop, and attempting to copy my data to an external drive, before donating the computer to a charity. So far so good with deleting unwanted programs. However, with copy data folders (My Documents, My Pictures etc.) to a USB hard-drive I'm having problems.Right-click on relevant folder (i.e. My Documents) and Copy seems fine, but when I try to transfer to the relevant folder I have created on the USB hard-drive, Paste is either absent or greyed out.Where am I going wrong?Thanks.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked there is sufficient storage on the USB disk your copying too?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no problem with storage capacity.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

What happens if click a single file and go to copy, is there an option to paste then?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that seems OK. There are a lot of files, though....
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to rule out it being a read-only setting on the storage device, what happens if you have the two windows side by side and drag the folder from current location to the storage location?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried that, but nothing happened.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One time I tried it, and it just created a Shortcut to My Documents (the folder I was trying to transfer)
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

When that happens it suggests there is a lack of free storage on the device.

Reboot the laptop, while its rebooting plug the drive into a different USB port, and let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, but last time I checked there was 750Gb free on the USB drive out of 1Tb total.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

How did you get on after the reboot and using a different usb port?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everything's fine now, thank you for your help.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Great, so I can close the case please rate the service received using the star rating at the top.