Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

After a re-install my pc is crashing, the hdd light becomes

Hi, after a re-install my pc is crashing, the hdd light becomes constant and the pc freezes. I have done most things I can think of, virus, check disk errors, memory errors.The pc was working fine (although set up wrong) before. I have a small ssd hd with windows on and a larger hd for programs etc. A long time ago I re-installed but could not get windows onto the ssd, so I just had it on the larger drive.I just did the re-install and managed to get windows 7 home premium back onto the sdd. I formatted both drives before useing but I did notheing with partitioning.Could partitioning be a problem and can you help me with this please?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me the total available size of C drive on the computer?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, 119GB
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, Partitioning is not the issue.

How did you do the disk error check?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
with the windows tool, it re-started and checked and seemed to say all was fine
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, it looks like then it was a bad install.

I would advise if you just installed it to do a reinstall again, the size of C is ok, especially for just running window in a hybrid setup you have, but rather then start looking at disabling service ect which may bring some perfomance gains, considering it is a new install, you are best to do the reinstall again in the event there were some issues with the initial installation.

Do the reinstall of windows and let me know how it then performs please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would you recommend going to windows 10, I can re-install but it took hours, and I have been thinking about getting windows 10 anyway
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

yes very much, windows Vista and 8 (8.1) were all failures, 7 was good but windows 10 is the best yet.

If you want you can first try upgrading to ten with this file first (for free)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyku12vhyf6esnp/Windows10Upgrade24074.exe?dl=0

And check if this improves it, if not then do a clean install with windows 10.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** get back to you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Again, I have installed windows 10, it actually crashed just before the end of installing (actual crash not a install restart), but re-started and finished. I have not had a crash since.If it does start crashing again then I guess the thing to do is start isolating programs and hardware to see where the problem is.You answered my origonal question was about the partitioning. And it looks like you are right and it was a bad install.Thanks very much
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Good to hear and you are welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit