Russell H.
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

Hi. My question is this. I have a BT home hub 3 in my house

Customer Question

My question is this.
I have a BT home hub 3 in my house and we also have an out building about 100m away. The router is positioned in such a location in the house that from the outside of the the outbuilding you can just get a weak signal but nothing inside the building. I'm looking to rent the building out and I'm too tight to have another phone line installed and another broadband subscription. How can I amplify my wifi enough so that the user in the out building would be able to use the wifi also please.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
I would like to provide helpful information on the subject of your question.

A range extender is not necessarily a provider of a stronger signal than the existing router. It is meant to be used as a relay of the signal, at a more or less intermediate location.

Since you do not speak of any place (it would have to be a sheltered place, or a shelter of some kind, since wireless repeaters are not meant to be used outdoors) intermediate in location between the building where your WiFi router is ('the building') and the outbuilding where you want WiFi service to be available, then I don't think a wireless range extender such as the one you consider, will solve the problem.

Here is a possible solution: change the location of the existing WiFi router. Mount it higher up or in an upper story of the building, near or on the windowsill of a window (since glass is less likely to block transmission and reception, even marginally, compared to solid wall, wooden walls, or walls with wiring or metal studding inside them especially.)
To try this idea: move the existing WiFi router to that (upstairs, preferably) windowsill temporarily. Try a WiFi device in the outbuilding - does that work.

If a windowsill is not available in a spot upstairs in the building, then a post next to a solid wall but upstairs is preferable. If that doesn't extend the range sufficiently, try various window sites lower down in the building.

The basic fact is, WiFi routers are often not mounted high enough in buildings... the signal propogates better from an attic than from a basement, by far. And as I said, near a window is good too.

Let me know what you think of the above facts, and how you judge the specifics of the site (your building, your outbuilding, wall materials, availability of windows, etc.) affects the question. I don't yet know those specifics, but if the above doesn't help, I can advise you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I've tried that and it's not made any difference. Can you suggest something further please.
The only thing further to suggest that you haven't considered is either to run a weatherproof line out to the outbuilding, or to get a weatherproof router (if there is such a thing - I doubt it) or a weatherproof range extender (slightly less unlikely) and mount it out of doors, out in the weather or on the wall of the building toward the outbuilding and fairly high up to help transmission.