hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer networking problems
40928634

My Canon Pixma MG 4250 has been connected in error by me to

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MG 4250 has been connected in error by me to a USB!!! There is no USB cable connected. How do I remove the USB connection so I can use it direct from ADSL/telephone line? What is WIRELESS, that seems to be the only other option given?
Category: Networking
Expert:  J Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hello, do you have a usb cable to use to communicate to the printer?
Also do you have wifi in the house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you receive my reply?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I do not have a USB cable. No wifi, I use the ASDL/telephone line direct connection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't wait any longer for a reply. Dissatisfied! Bye

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

There are several ways you can do this. If you would still like help with this, please let me know - I'll be happy to assist.

If you do, can you please provide the model number of your router and your operating system?

Mike
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

There are two methods to connect your printer. You can connect it to your computer using a USB cable or you can connect it to a Wireless (Wi-Fi) Network. A wireless network is what you use to connect multiple computers or devices like smart phones to the Internet.

You will need an ADSL modem/wireless router if you want to share this printer to other computers in your network.

In order to set up the printer to use your wireless network please again install the CD that came with the printer and follow these instructions.

N.B. Please have the USB cable disconnected until you are told to plug it in.

When connecting to your Wi-Fi (Wireless network) you will need your network's name & password. If you don't have a Wi-Fi router please contact your Internet service provider to purchase one.

Wireless Setup Using Standard Setup

• The information you need to have, in order to complete the wireless LAN setup manually.

In most cases, "Standard Setup" will be used to connect the machine to your access point or router. Before you continue, you must gather the following information which will be required during the installation.
Refer to the instruction manual for the access point or the router you are using, or you may contact each manufacturer for help.

- Access Point Name/Network Name
* Also referred to as SSID.
An identifier to identify the specific access point.

- Network Key
* Also referred to as encryption key, WEP key or WPA/WPA2 passphrase, Pre-Shared key.
A password XXXXX prevent unauthorized access to the network.

IMPORTANT

• Quit all applications before installation.
  • Log on using an administrator account.
  • Internet connection may be required during the installation. Connection fees apply.

Screens are based on Windows 7 operating system Home Premium. Actual screens may differ depending on the OS version.

1. Insert the CD-ROM into the computer.

IMPORTANT

If the USB cable is already connected, unplug it. If a message appears on the computer, click Cancel.

2. Click Run Msetup4.exe on the AutoPlay screen, then click Yes or Continue on the User Account Control dialog box.
If the User Account Control dialog box reappears in following steps, click Yes or Continue.

REFERENCE

If the CD-ROM does not autorun:
Double-click (My) Computer > CDROM icon > MSETUP4.EXE.

3. Click Next.

4. Click Wireless Connection.

5. Click Connect to the network.

Follow the instruction and go to step 6.

REFERENCE

If an error message is displayed, see "Troubleshooting" at the right.

6. Click Other Methods.

7. Click Standard setup.

Follow the instruction and go to step 8.

REFERENCE

- Character Entry
You can enter the characters when the keyboard is displayed on the printer. Follow the procedure below.

1. You can enter the characters when the keyboard is displayed on the printer's LCD.
Password XXXXX is case sensitive so press the center Function button (A) accordingly to switch between lower case, upper case and numeric characters.

2. Use the buttons (B) to select a character from the keyboard, then press the OK button to select and move to the next character.
3. Repeat 1 and 2 to enter the remaining characters.

* To insert a space, select Space on the on-screen keyboard and press the OK button.

* To insert characters, select the section (C) of the screen using the or button, move the cursor to the character on the right of the target position using the or button, then enter characters.

* To delete a character, select the section (C) of the screen using the or button, move the cursor to the target character using the or button, then press the right Function button (D).

8. Follow the instruction until the screen below is displayed. Network connection setting is complete.
Click Next.

9. Select your place of residence, then click Next.

10. Select a country or region, then click Next.

REFERENCE

When the .NET Framework screen appears, click [Yes].

Install the Software (Information)

Let's perform the software installation.

1. Click Next.

REFERENCE

• Easy-WebPrint EX

Easy-WebPrint EX is Web print software that is installed on the computer when installing the supplied software. Internet Explorer 7 or later (Windows) is required to use this software. An Internet connection is required for installation.

Follow any on-screen instructions to proceed with the software installation.

2. When the Setup Completion dialog box appears, click Complete.

IMPORTANT

3. Click Next.

- Important Information for the Installation

• If the Extended Survey Program screen appears

If you can agree to Extended Survey Program, click Agree.
If you click Do not agree, the Extended Survey Program will not be installed.
(This has no effect on the machine's functionality.)

• When the [Test Print] window is displayed

Test printing will be performed to check the printer's operation.
Load plain paper into the printer and click [Execute].
After test printin, click [Next].
To skip test printing, click [Next] instead of [Execute].

4. Click Exit to complete the installation.
Remove the Setup CD-ROM and keep it in a safe place.

5. Quick Menu starts.