Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

Hi My internet is connected but when i try to connect i just

Customer Question

Hi My internet is connected but when i try to connect i just get a completely blank screen for about 30 seconds and then it fades off.What can i do please to rectify the problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sam! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your computer? Can you confirm it has windows vista?

Do you mean you are able to use the Internet in Safe mode with networking (press key F8 after turning on the computer)?

Are you able to use any other program in normal mode, such as Word program?

Edit: It looks like you are away; please reply back when you are available to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Viet,thank you for your reply,i sincerely XXXXX XXXXX can help me.My computer is Packard Bell,and it does have Windows Vista.I do not know if by pressing the F8 Key anything will happen,i've not tried or been told to try that before,and i am completely ignorant of these things.I am at work so i won't know if Word or anything else works until i go home and try.Basically when i click to open Internet Explorer i get a blank screen,absolutely blank,there is nothing there for me to click regarding prompts ,commands,options etc,nothing!the blank screen stays for about 30 seconds and then fades away.Like i said the chap from Virgin talked me thru stripping it back to basics and my internet then worked,but back in normal operating mode nothing happens.It is showing i am connected to my internet,i even have chrome on my laptop but when he had me try that it came back saying chrome crashed!PLEASE HELP!

Hi Sam,

Sorry about that. Please try:

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows and folders.
  2. Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
  3. Open Network and Internet if available; open Internet Options. Then click on Delete and delete only temporary internet files.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  6. Then check Internet Explorer.

Also, if needed, please go to Start, control panel, programs, programs and features, and uninstall the Google Chrome program

, then download and reinstall it at

https://www.google.com/chrome

Please let me know if there is still any issue. You can click on the Reply to Expert tab below any time, and reply back to me, so I can help further as needed. Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Veit,i have just been home for my lunch,i tried all that you advised,i uninstalled Chrome firstly,i closed all I.E icons,i deleted temporary internet files,i went into advanced and reset,and then went back and tried I.E..and still a blank screen came up!what else can i try please?

I'm sorry, can you uninstall/ remove any antivirus/security program from the computer, then restart the computer and check? You can reinstall later.

If that does not work, can you go to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts, (Manage another account), then create a new account (select the administrator option when prompted), then restart the computer, then log in the new account, and see if it works in the new account?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Veit,i will go home and try this new advice,fingers crossed it works!thank you for all the help and suggestions you are making,i really appreciate it.As you can see i am having to use my work computer to do all my Internet stuff,which is a bit of a pain

You're welcome. Sorry, OK, we'll try something else if it does not work. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Viet,i have given you the wrong information,as i discovered today that my PC has Windows 7 ,not Vista,i dont know if that makes a difference.It is Packard Bell Easynote LJ71.I havent yet had the chance to try the last suggestion you made,to switch off the security etc,i will try that tonight,fingers crossed

thanks

No problem. The instructions are the same for windows 7. OK, please take your time. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Viet,was off for the w/end.back now.I have treied the last thing you suggested but i am still getting a blank screen.it's getting really frustrating,as my daughter is getting the internet fine on her laptop,and mine keeps showing as being connected,but i cant get to do anything as there is just blank space.Please HELP!,i'm beginning to tear my hair out!

I'm sorry, can you strip back to basic (msconfig), does it work now? We can put back a couple of things to msconfig one at a time and check out the issue, but you don't need to put back msconfig unless you want a particular program to run automatically when turning on the computer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Viet,i am just thinking ,when i switch on my pc,apart from taking much longer to 'boot up'than it used to,despite my shutting down most of my desktop icons from starting up,i keep getting the message'High CPU Usage',and when i try to diagnose what is causing it it sends me to a web address, but of course i can't use the internet to go onto it to find out what i need to do to rectify it.could that be the reason do you think?

I'm sorry, can you strip back everything to basic, then check internet?

Click on Start, then type msconfig in the Search box, and press Enter. Then click on the Startup tab and click on Disable all. Then click on the Services tab and check the box at Hide all Microsoft services near the bottom, then click on Disable all. Then click OK, and restart the computer and check.