adamd-mod
adamd-mod, CCIE
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I have an issue with my foreign exchange broker. This started

Customer Question

I have an issue with my foreign exchange broker. This started back in May, when I was using Eduroam. The platform use to trade foreign exchange is pretty much the same platform called MetaTrader 4, so over sometime, after some economic data release, my broker's quoting on MetaTrader 4 was lagging and not contingent to real prices of the market, however, other broker's using MetaTrader 4 with different ports worked fine. Also, when I tried to connect using my mobile phone network data, it also lagged, this costed me money. However, last Thursday and Friday, the same thing happened again, it was my broker that failed and where other brokers were fine, mobile data also lagged. Have records from all ISPs that connection on those days were fine, whether mobile or computing wifi, any advice?They keep blaming it on me by showing evidence from their ISP that their internet was fine, but this doesn't prove that their server was fine, would appreciate if you could provide an IT argument where internet connection is not a necessary evidence which the server was working.

And No I have had no issues with other data on the days of lags. Indeed during the delay it still showed that the trading platform was connected to the server. It did not show that the sever had been disconnected. I have screenshots showing that the local time in Cyprus, since they are based is Cyprus is constant 30 seconds off the actual market time. There was also one time which was last Friday that such a lag lasted for 1.5 minutes. I have spoken to the programmers at MetaQuotes they said that it is not possible for the platform to stay connected to to update stalling prices.

I have asked my ISP and mobile network provider whether if there was an issue on those days. To my defence there were no issues with my ISP or mobile network provider too. In fact my audio news was also streaming fine with new coming in despite of the platform lagging. Hence there was no way of an Internet connection upon me as I was sure that everything was working fine and in fact I even stayed on live chat with their software developer without issues and was also able to send emails.

Their compliance department sent me traffic data from Passler which monitors their router. However there is no way how traffic from the ISP proves whether their sever had an issue in feeding prices into my trading platform. I have also said that there is no way that traffic proves that there was no issues with their sever and platform.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I fear that my one idea, after examining your case, may seem too elementary - and I may suppose that you have already checked on this detail. But nonetheless: Be sure you have checked whether your own computer is set to the correct time, as far as the minutes-after-the-hour are concerned, and also that your computer clock and your broker software are also set on the correct time zone (or at least both on the same time zone... I am not sure how time zones are handled in your software, but I would think they would both have to agree.)

This may sound too obvious, but there is a technical detail to the suggestion. Which is, that computer clocks may run slightly fast or slightly slow, compared to other computer's clock or regular clocks, and in rare cases might possibly vary or spontaneously change at times.

Also check whether your computer is running far too much in the way of other processes, or perhaps running 'Scheduled Tasks' during these periods of lag. In Windows computers, Scheduled Tasks are listed in
Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Scheduled Tasks.
Or, in the simplest way of dealing with the possibility of Scheduled Tasks slowing down your computer at times, you could just shut Off the Task Scheduler Service in Services... let me know whether you would like to try this and I will instruct you how to do so.

Another good idea is to do a thorough set of scans of your computer for malware, viruses, adware, or spyware. And eliminate all of that sort that is found... some species may be using your internet connection to 'dump' data to some other server, or similar activity, and malware etc. is seldom polite about such monopolization of your computer's resources. The section below details some measures to take against the possibility... and if your computer has no security suite, I may recommend either Symantec (not cheap) Internet Security, or if you prefer free-of-charge, there's AVG Free or Avast, etc...:

1. Go to
http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6, install it, update it fully, run a complete scan, and tell it to Fix whatever it finds wrong.
(Note: this is now also available free, in version 2, for Home users [in a non-business context] and that might be better... but I have not tried it yet so I can't say from experience.)

2. Go to
http://download.cnet.com/CWShredder/3000-8022_4-10301587.html
and when you click on the green 'Download' flag at left, you then need to look for a yellow flag reading

Continue To Download

which is what you should click on, not those other products displayed on the page.

Then (unless your browser blocks the download) you should be offered TrendMicro's CWShredder.exe, to Save to disk (saving it to e.g. the Desktop, where it will be easy to find). Run CWShredder by double-clicking on its paper-shredder icon, agree to the license, click Scan Only, watch as the results scroll up... if all entries say "Not present", then nothing of the sort is present... but if one IS found, choose Fix on this scan or the next scan (if the next scan, start the scan with the Fix button instead of the Scan Only button.)

3. Go to
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
and download Stinger at the link next to the number 1. , below the question "How do I use Stinger?" Save to a location where it will be easy to find its orange and yellow square icon:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

and double-click on it to start it. Configure it in its Properties to scan boot sectors (as well as all the other things), select scan area (probably just C:\ would do), and start scan. It may find nothing, but if it finds anything, that's cause for concern.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, this is not what I am looking for, I am looking for an IT reasoning on why this is their fault.

I'm not looking for a way to "solve" it, I'm looking for a way to make a rebuttal against them.

Sorry but this is just not what I need.

I'm sorry that my Answer wasn't of any use to your needs. I have Opted Out, opening the case to any other Expert in this category that might have an Answer that is different and better suited to your needs.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam