Claws224
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Hi, I am having a problem accessing internet on our desktop

Customer Question

I am having a problem accessing internet on our desktop computers.

We are running Windows Server 2008, internet restrictions have been turned off on this machine.

However the only way to guarantee internet access is to manually change all the DNS settings on every desktop.

Can you advise what the problem is?

David
Category: Networking
Expert:  LKT replied 4 years ago.

LKT :

LKT :

What device serves up the IP addressing? What is your DHCP server?

LKT :

It sounds like the DHCP server is not giving the clients the DNS addresses. Check your DHCP server and make sure it is configured to do so.

LKT :

If you have any questions let me know. Thanks.

Customer :

Just checking it now.

LKT :

Ok. It definitely sounds likes it would be the problem, especially if you have to enter it in manually.

LKT :

Can you check a computer that does not have the manual configuration by doing a ipconfig and compare that to what you manually enter?

Customer :

ok

LKT :

Did you check the DNS settings on your DHCP server, were they correct?

Customer :

sorry, just got a phone call won't be long

LKT :

Ok.

LKT :

When you get a minute could you update me?

Customer :

just rebooking a pc now to check

LKT :

Ok.

Customer :

hi, sorry to keep you waiting.

LKT :

Thats fine. How'd it go?

Customer :

it seems that the person who set this up, never installed a DHCP server.

LKT :

Ah, that would explain alot :)

Customer :

I have now done this and cleared the IP on one PC and rebooted

Customer :

It now seems to be able to access internet, but when try to access server in network on pc it's states it cannot find a domain controller

LKT :

Is it looking to an IP address or a named address? It would follow that a DNS server also needs to be set up.

LKT :

Here is a quick guide on how to do that. It's fairly straightforward. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/datacenter/how-do-i-install-and-configure-a-dns-server-in-windows-server-2008/327

Customer :

i'll try that now thanks

LKT :

You are welcome.

LKT :

If you have a moment please rate me positively. Have a good day!

Customer :

DNS server was already installed, however there was errors on it. I'm guessing that it needed a restart following the installation of the DHCP server? Restarted and seems all ok. Just rebooking the desktop to check

LKT :

Sounds good keep me updated

Customer :

Customer :

DHCP is install, DNS server is working.

Customer :

still have to manual add dns server to individual pc's otherwise exchange doesn't work and I can't access network files

LKT :

I am not certain what more to try. I will opt out and let another expert help.

Customer :

ok.

LKT :

Hello, I've noticed you have chosen to rate me poorly. Please keep in mind that I have answered correctly your initial answer. I cannot follow the rabbit hole with the rest of the problems your network has as it was out of the scope of your question and out of the scope of the price. Please reconsider this rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Please, list off the issues that you are still having.