Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Great troubleshooting skills with computer and network.
30037186

Is it possible to install two boardband connections in one

Customer Question

Is it possible to install two boardband connections in one house with a different/same service provider in the UK as the house is two floors and the wireless for the second floor would be very poor.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Viet - Network Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Yan! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed network professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, but only if your internet service provider(s) provide that option in your area/city. Note: if you have both cable and regular phone line, then you can have a cable internet and a DSL internet connection. Or if you have multiple phone lines, then you can two DSL internet connections.

However, that would be expensive as you need to pay for two internet connections monthly (price is double.) The cheaper method is that you can get a wireless /wi-fi extender, then you can extend / increase the wireless signals to the second floor:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WN3000RP-Universal-Wi-Fi-Extender/dp/B0055Y6PUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378543162&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+extender

Another option is to use wireless powerline extender:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA281KIT-Wireless-Powerline-Extender/dp/B0067GS29W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378543310&sr=8-2&keywords=powerline+extender

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So as long as there is a phone line, then there can be a second DSL internet?

How many phone line(s) are in your house? Do you currently have Cable internet, or DSL internet, or Satellite internet, etc.?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a normal cable Internet I think. I assume there's a phone line in every room. Does phone line mean dial up Internet?

Sorry, no, that's not what phone lines mean; phone lines mean if it's possible to have multiple phone numbers.

What's the brand and model of your internet modem/router device?

Who's your internet service provider?

Who's your telephone service provider? If it's the same provider as with your internet, do you see a phone port on the modem/router device that you are using?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Talk talk is the internet service provider.

Same as talk talk for phone.

Brand is from talk talk

Can you please check the back/bottom of the talktalk modem/router device for the exact model? Thank you

Hi Yan,

I've just finished checking; TalkTalk uses DSL / ADSL Internet, which runs the Internet connection through the phone line. Usually, a house has two or more phone lines, i.e., you would be able to set up another landline phone number, then you can another internet connection. If there is only one phone line, then TalkTalk can install another phone line for you. You can contact TalkTalk and check:

From your TalkTalk landline: 0870(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Mobile friendly: 0203(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>http://www.talktalk.co.uk/contactus/

(Note: with phone lines, you can have dial-up internet or DSL internet; dial-up is too slow, so nowadays, we usually use DSL only.)

If TalkTalk cannot provide another Internet connection, then there is another internet connection type that is called Cable Internet (as opposed to DSL / ADSL Internet from TalkTalk.) Cable Internet uses coaxial cable, like for connecting to TV, (where as dsl / adsl internet uses the phone line.) If your house has coaxial cable connection, then you can get another internet connection; you can just call a cable internet provider in your local area, such as Virgin Media:
0845(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so if there is no extra phone line, I could just ask and get it installed in my room?

That's correct (they may have to route the line to your room.) And if there is no extra phone line, then usually, then can install / set up an extra phone line for you. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Then I could use a relatively 10 mb /s internet?

Whatever Internet plan / speed your internet service provider provides, then you have that speed, i.e., you should get the same speed as you currently have with your (first) Internet connection. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But if my house is using talk talk then does it mean that I must use talk talk and cannot use another.
Yes, that's correct; that is for two phone lines / DSL internet connections.

For cable internet (where it uses coaxial cable), then you can use another provider also, i.e., you can use DSL internet from one provider and Cable internet from another provider.