Claws224
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I am trying to set up a new, replacement laptop. How do I

Customer Question

I am trying to set up a new, replacement laptop. How do I access emails sent and received on my last one and not deleted on it before it crashed, and also access any new ones sent to me since it went down 5 days ago? A local computer shop says they were saved in transferring material from my old laptop but I can'd discover how to get at them. I'd also like to set up an easy access tool so as to go straight into emails when I log on. You will gather that I am not very computer literate
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

How were you accessing your emails on the old computer?

Which email program where you using eg: Outlook 2007?

thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry but I don't know. My late son set up the email access icon for me and I blithely used it very regularly without taking in the details. Could you show me some? It could well have been Outlook. I'll recognise the icon when I see it. What a dope I am.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, tell me the exact steps you would take to open your email

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From the opening desk top page which showed all the programmes on my laptop - Google, Microsoft Word, Open Office, Norton Security etc - there were about 15-20 of them most of which I did'nt use - I would go onto the programme to log me into my list of received, sent and deleted emails, and also new once received since I last logged on. And they all then appeared for me to access.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Which email service is this for?

You know this by telling me the part of your email address After the @

Can you tell me this eg: @hotmail.com @gmail.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My email address after the @ is tiscali.co.uk but in fact my service provider is BT Total Broadband with whom I have the user name after @ of btinternet .com.

When I changed my service provider a couple of years or so ago from Tiscali to BT I was able to keep my existing Tiscali email address which seems odd but has presented no problems in practice.

What I really need to know now is how to access emails on my new laptop. I set myself up OK on line today and can access my bank for example without problem but I just have'nt cracked how to view emails. Ones sent to me must be piling up since my last laptop went down 5 days ago. If you can help with advice on that then I will be able to see, I hope, whether existing ones are still accessible.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok Alan, this is easier if I do it directly on your computer.

Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?

It is easier.

Go to www.joinme.com

Click START MEETING

It will download a program to your computer

Run the program by double clicking it, and it will give you a set of 9 numbers

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (eg: 456-789-123) in your message to me here please