Jeremy
Jeremy, PC Technician
Experience:  Networking issues? I can tackle simple home router issues or business grade Cisco routers.
62669195

For a up to 19 MB/S DSL connection in the UK, using a Huawei

Customer Question

For a up to 19 MB/S DSL connection in the UK, using a Huawei router, is there a maximum devices which could be connected to the network, and would there be an issue if one person keeps using data between the 5 people sharing the DSL internet?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is Jeremy, I would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

In theory any router will support up to 254 connections at any time and could be expanded with other routers. Currently in my household we have around 7 devices connected to our wireless router on a 20mb connection. For what we do (stream videos, download and browse the Internet) we are perfectly fine. It should be more than enough for all 5 people to be online and surf comfortably. You won't notice a slow connection unless everyone does heavy downloading but once the downloads finish it will be back up to speed.

If you run into any issues with your new connection please reply to me anytime and i'll help you in any way I can

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated)

Register Here
(To rate my help click the smiley faces below then press the submit button)

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Suddenly at night, every connection was disconnected but after restarting the router it recovered immediately, one person connecting with an old MacBook Pro has got a time out error, is this correlated with the person using slightly more data than the others or was it purely a router issue?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Sounds more like a router issue. Do you have any cordless phones at the location or baby monitors?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there wasn't, but someone was getting timeout issue, and I was getting disconnected through everything, but shortly after 1 minute or so it was fine again.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
It could have been a high data usage, There are certain devices that could interfere with wifi, that's why I was checking. Cordless Phones, Security cameras, Baby Monitors, and wireless speakers are among the most common. If it acts up again on you let me know and we'll figure it out

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But is a huawei standard router too weak to accomodate 5 people?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
No not at all A Huawei shouldn't have any issues pushing more than that. 5 Is not that many users at all for any router. Even really generic cheap $15 chinese routers are capiable of supporting more than 5 users

Register Here
. If the router itself was faulty I could see an issue it's rare though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the issue was this:

I have Apple airport device connected ot the eternet of my PC as well as my wifi of the PC connecting to the same wifi connection as the apple airport device used, could've caused a clash.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
It's possible, how many times has it done this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well it clashed 2 times.

I believe the time out issue is due to the macbook pro being too old with the wifi card too

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Now that is a good possibility. The wifi card itself may have issues. You could always purchase a USB external wifi to replace it with.

It may also be a possibility that the Internet Service provider was having issues at the time or may have been upgrading the firmware on the modem itself.

Next time it happens shoot me a message and i'll be here to help you in any way I can.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, once I connect to the internet as i am the heavy data user, the internet speed drops to 3mb/s from the guaranteed up to 19mb/s any idea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be honest, I doubt I am the issue, because it seems like the talk talk router cuts off connection and slows it down when it expands to a certain person connected. I tried to install a tenda router to work with the talk talk line, which is supposed to install automatically, but they didnt let it happen... weird

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Can you try something for me?

click this link

http://192.168.1.1

It may have you login. the user name and password should both be admin

Look in the settings for Wireless Channel

Change the channel to 11 if it's already set to 11 change it to 06

Save the settings

Let me know if that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was on Auto, then i changed it to 11, still persists.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Was the Huawei router supplied by talktalk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
Have you talked to them about swapping the router out? Since it's leased equipment it would be free to do?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well I want to know whether the problem is attributed by me though. If it is then changing the router wont help the overall situation.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
The only thing that would come to mind is the computer doing Windows Updates, but that should only last a week or so, if it's been longer than a week i'd have them swap it out, since we ruled out interference that's about the only other culprit it would be. They shouldn't charge you anything to do so:

There is one other thing you can try.

Call them and ask if they can "reflash" your modem. See if they are able to do so remotely. This will update it and fix any issues if it has not auto-updated

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much would it cost to install an additional phoneline in the UK?

Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 years ago.
I'm in the US myself. They usually charge around $30 USD to do so here in my area so I would say around 50.00 or so your way?