Russell H.
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

We have a problem on our home/office network - peer-to-peer,

Customer Question

We have a problem on our home/office network - peer-to-peer, no server.

12Mb broadband feeds a new ZyXEL SBG3300 router, which in turns feeds our ethernet network. At 3 points on the network we have a WAP, one of which is a TPLink WA701ND, to extend range.

The main problem is connecting a nearly-new Dell Vostro laptop running Win7 to the network, both via WiFi to the TPLink WAP and ZyXEL, and via cable to the ZyXEL. It is extremely unreliable, and occasionally connection can be revived on the Dell by using /release and /renew.

Current connection to JustAnswer is via cable to the ZyXEL and this laptop. I also have a Dell Vostro desktop on the same network which can access the ZyXEL admin page.

Any help to get reliable and constant access to the internet with the Dell laptop would be appreciated.

Standing by....
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name isXXXXX regret that your case waited so long for a response; I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

If I understand you correctly, the Dell laptop is dropping its connections, (?) whether they are wireless or wired (?), to the Zyxel router. (Or is it just the wireless connection which is dropping intermittently?)

What has Dell tech support already had you try?

Has the Dell laptop been tried, connected to any other WAP or router than the ones mentioned already?

Are you using Internet Explorer as your browser when the connection drops? if so, of what version?
And, what is Enabled in the Add-Ons of Internet Explorer? And, has Dell tech support already tried a reset to default of the Internet Explorer settings?

Some of the above might begin to cover the possibilities of the case delineated in the question you have asked. Please let me know about these points. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Russell - good to hear from you, and apologies for the delay in getting back.

To answer your questions:

Yes, the Dell laptop is dropping its connections, whether wireless or wired to the Zyxel.

Dell went through a lot of checks in Device manager, and numerous ipconfig interrogations. /release and /renew appears to restore the wired connection intermittently.

I've tried the Dell laptop on both an (Old) Netgear WG602 and a (new) TP-Link WA701ND, and basically the same problem, though there's no pattern of faults that I can see - it's just unreliable.

We tend to use Chrome 30 whenever possible, though we have IE10 as a backup on each machine.

Enabled add-ons in IE are Adobe: Shockwave Flash and a load of PDF items; MS - Win Media Player, Silverlight, Live ID Sign In, Office Doc cache; Trend Micro (anti-virus); Atheros CIE Speech BHO Class.

No, Dell tech support has not tried a reset to default of the IE settings.

In addition to the Dell laptop, on the same desk I have a Dell desktop, also running Win 7, and also capable of wireless and wired connection. There are no problems with this machine.

We also have a Dell Colour Laser on the network, and that appears to disconnect itself regularly.

All these problems seem to have arisen with changing to the Zyxel router, which we installed recently to cure problems with accessing our WiFi with Apple and Kindle devices. The previous (ancient) router wouldn't allow us to download anything to Apple and/or Kindle, and that problem is now solved with the Zyxel.

I am back online at 1815 GMT - 2000 GMT Monday, and then from 0800 GMT Tuesday.

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to hearing from you.

RL

At first your account suggests what your problem seemed at first was a defect in the laptop, now seems in your account to be the Zyxel router.

I would advise that since there is doubt about the laptop's stability, you might need to turn the laptop Off, then test stability of connection to the Zyxel... in order to completely eliminate any suspicion of the laptop being causative to the problem.

Or you could simply replace one, or the other (laptop or Zyxel). That would also make sure, if the problem was eliminated, that the problem component had been isolated.

Please rate my Answer - hopefully, favorably - in order that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your suggestion, Russell, to turn the laptop Off.

I will try that.

I'm also updating the firmware on the Zyxel router.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.