Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Is Ping used to monitor the level of latency?

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to assist. A ping is used to determine whether a network destination is reachable and responding. Although it does report a round trip time in milliseconds that is not a true measure of latency because it doesn't take into account the time spent to process a packet. Latency can also be measured one way a opposed to round trip and a ping doesn't tell you that. As for network latency, I was trained using Cisco equipment and in a switched Cisco network it is defined as the time it takes for a switch to forward a packet from its ingress port to its egress port. There are many ways to measure latency and a ping is only one of them and it doesn't provide a lot of precision. - I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert) rather than giving me a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

http://www.soft-fx.com/Solutions.aspx

In a model like this, would high latency than API be easily spotted?

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I'm not sure what it is you are looking for. Are you a forex trader looking for the fastest execution? There are a lot of links in the chain in the diagram. A ping wouldn't be able to tell you the source any slowness. Latency could be introduced at any point. API software shows things like price quotes and information on your trades. Brokerages have developers that write their software and poorly written software could cause slowness. That's a bit outside my area of expertise.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it is a situation where the broker told me the poor delay was due to a high API which their system didn't spot, which I find ridiculous.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

What the heck is that supposed to mean? I know what API is, but "high"?

Without knowing what that is supposed to mean, I can't really comment. On it's face it does sound ridiculous. Maybe their network was experiencing a slowdown due to a lot of traffic but that would be a guess on my part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They said High latency vs API caused a delay in my orders being sent to a bank. But it is apparently a problem that their system cannot spot at all which I find impossible to happen.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. That adds some clarification. Unless theirs is a totally closed sytem where they can monitor all traffic it would be possible for there to be a latency issue they cannot detect. In the link you sent above it shows traffic between the Bridge and the Bank. If the Bank is the external liquidity provider they may not be able to monitor traffic inside that network and the problem could be there.

-

I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving me a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well it's funny how they were able to 'fix' the problem once i send them an ultimatum

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
I see two possibilities here. The person you dealt with didn't know didn't know what they were talking about. Or, they were trying to save face. These firms advertise their service to be fast and reliable. To admit there was a problem on their end could cause a loss of customer confidence (and their business).
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
If you want a different perspective on the path your data travels instead of using the ping command, substitute tracert