GL ITCS
GL ITCS, Consultant
Experience:  MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
74092784

my wireless connection to my hp c4585 printer has failed and

Customer Question

my wireless connection to my hp c4585 printer has failed and it will not reinstall
Category: Networking
Expert:  GL ITCS replied 3 years ago.

GL ITCS :

Hi there, Thanks for dropping by, I hope to be able to help you out with your IT issues!

GL ITCS :

Can I ask what operating system you are using please?

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

hello, i am using windows vista

GL ITCS :

This could be a mixture of many things, firstly, does printing work if connected directly - i.e. via USB cable?

GL ITCS :

Also... do you have Norton installed and if so what version please?

GL ITCS :

and what is the make and model of the router please?

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

printer works fine when connected to usb, i use avg and have an orange livebox. it has always worked fine on wireless until a couple of weeks ago. i have tried installing it again with the original cd but just says error#vsa100

GL ITCS :

have any updates been installed since it last worked?

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

not sure about that

GL ITCS :

windows updates?

GL ITCS :

are they set to automatic?

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

don't think so, the only update i had was for java

GL ITCS :

my initial thoughts are that it could be drivers etc that have updated and it could have thrown out settings

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

yes auto updates when i shut down

GL ITCS :

understood

GL ITCS :

you might need to look at the drivers for the printer/wireless card and check that you have the latest ones

GL ITCS :

that would be a start with the printer

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

ok i will try that, but i have been on hp website and tried all their options

GL ITCS :

hp assistant?

GL ITCS :

it is a tool i think?

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

ok will look at that as well

GL ITCS :

also do you have a roll back option for the driver for the wireless card (i think so in Vista?)

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

not sure what that is

GL ITCS :

control panel, device manager, you should see something for the wireless card

GL ITCS :

also....

GL ITCS :

properties

GL ITCS :

do you have system restore enabled?

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

not sure will look into that as well

GL ITCS :

ok

GL ITCS :

it could be a possibility that you could system restore back to a certain point, that would be up to you though

GL ITCS :

i.e. at your own risk, in case anything went wrong!

GL ITCS :

it is usually fine!

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

ok i understand

GL ITCS :

cool

GL ITCS :

the reason i asked about usb

GL ITCS :

is to ascertain that it isn't the printer that is at fault

GL ITCS :

we have to try to eliminate as much as possible

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

thanks for that, can i get back to you if still having problems

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

no printer is fine, i use it for printing music and have printed 2 songs today

GL ITCS :

ok, no worries, I am here to assist, if you could please update me either later on today, or tomorrow or whenever suits (I am off for a while until this afternoon)

GL ITCS :

cool, please keep me posted and if it doesn't work, we can look at other resolutions.

JACUSTOMER-5mc9wyw0- :

ok this afternoon will be ok

GL ITCS :

chat to you later then, cheers Gaz.