Netman70
Netman70, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  I have 5 yrs experience working in IT
63572512

I have set up a home group with desktop running Windows 7 and

Customer Question

I have set up a home group with desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running windows 8
shouldi be able to use files on windows 7 using laptop running 8
Category: Networking
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.

Netman70 :

Hi, Welcome to just answers, My name is Scott and I will be assisting you today.

Netman70 :

Are you using the HomeGroup that you setup in the Control Panel?

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

yes

Netman70 :

did you create the home group in windows 7

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

yes I created a home group in widows 7 on my desk top and I added my laptop to the home group using windows8

Netman70 :

Ok so the home group is working then, tell me what are you having trouble with?

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

when I try to access a file on my desk top from my laptop the response I get says the file is not accessable

Netman70 :

Windows 8 and 7 programs are not compatable that is why you are reciving that message windows 8 is a whole different monster than windows 7

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

therefore are you saying I cannot have a homegroup with windows 7 and 8 sharing

Netman70 :

Wait sorry I was mistaken windows 7 and xp are the two that are not compatable my mistake,

Netman70 :

To share devices and entire libraries

1. Open HomeGroup by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Settings (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Settings), tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking HomeGroup.

2. Select the libraries and devices you want to share with the homegroup.

To share individual files or folders

1. Open File Explorer by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering File Explorer in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking File Explorer.

2. Select the item, and then tap or click the Share tab.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]The Share tab
  3. Choose an option in the Share with group. There are different Share with options depending on whether your PC is connected to a network and what kind of network it is.

• To share items with a particular person, choose that person's account.

• To share with all the members of your homegroup, choose one of the Homegroup options. To select libraries to share with all the members of your homegroup, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.) Then tap or click HomeGroup.

• To prevent a file or folder from being shared with anyone, tap or click the Share tab, and then tap or click Stop sharing.

• To change the level of access to a file or folder, tap or click the Share tab, and then select either Homegroup (view) or Homegroup (view and edit).

• If you need to share a location such as a drive or system folder, use the Advanced sharing option

Netman70 :

Do you have any questions about shareing the files or folders?

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

I have altered the settings to the best of my understanding, when I try to access files on my desk top I get \\john-pc\users\john\finan2013 refers to a location that is unavailable.it could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check that you are connected to the network

Netman70 :

not sure why it is doing that but it should say \\john-pc\users\john\desktop\finan2013 if the file is on your desktop, how are you trying to access this file?

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

it saying that john-pc is denying access to your pc. how do I check that restriction on john-pc

Netman70 :

Make sure that the files on johns-pc files are shared

Netman70 :

click on computer - right click on local disk c: click on properties sharing and tell me what you see

Netman70 :

you will pro have to click on advanced sharing and enable share

Netman70 :

sorry click on start the computer then right click on local disk c: click on properties sharing and tell me what you see

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

network file and folder sharing c:\ not shared

Netman70 :

Click on Advanced Sharing and then check the box that says Share this folder then click on permissions and click Full control

Netman70 :

Then click apply and ok

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

we are getting further I can now access the desk top but when I get to the file it says not accessible parameter incorrect

Netman70 :

weird

Netman70 :

is the file a shortcut or a file on the desktop

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

I cant access any folders on a particular user

Netman70 :

Try right clicking on the folder and selecting the same as before sharing then advance then make sure full control is selected

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

the folder does not give me the same options

Netman70 :

right click on it and then look for share with under open then select who you would like to share it with you might need to perform a reboot

Netman70 :

select in the drop down under share with select "everyone"

Netman70 :

Are you having any luck?

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

when I right click on the folder I only get "shared folder synchronisation"

Netman70 :

What happens when you try that "shared folder synchronisation"

JACUSTOMER-2oqz2hi6- :

it wants to synch files *.grv

Netman70 :

Did you try to synch the files

Netman70 :

I have to step out for lunch I will check back when I return if that works for you?