Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

Hi, I need to install and configure a TP-LINK TL-WA5210G

I need to install and configure a TP-LINK TL-WA5210G in order to expand my WIFI area to a remote room. My router is an EE brightbox.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me please what issue you are having repeating the EE Brightboxes wireless signal via the TP-Link?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I just want to know how to configure it, I mean, there are several options on how to use this device, not sure which of them I should use. Also I don´t know the steps to follow.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I want you to follow this guide please

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=348

It shows you screen shots of the exact steps in order to set up the TP Link as a repeater.

I am not gone, and I am still here supporting you, but I want you to work your way through the steps and tell me (if) on exactly which step you get stuck on, as this will allow me to best assist you.

Do this and let me know the results please

Richard, Network Architect
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I saw this guide. Can you tell me in which mode should I use the device?

It seems there are 3 different.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Perfect, I gave it so I know exactly where you are getting stuck.

You will want it to be in Access Point Mode (AP)

As you are using it as a wireless repeater, which is an Access point.

Let me know how you continue please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, will follow the steps and let you know.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Waiting here for the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry didn´t have time to see this today. Will get back to you tomorrow.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem and thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I´m really lost here. I don´t know where to start it says that I should configure TCP/IP but as I said my router is different than the one in the example.

Would you be able to start a teamviewer sesion with my computer? If you can do that and get the device working I will happily release the payment with a very good positive feedback. :)

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I would like to do it via remotley logging in, but for this process it is not possible, as you will not always have internet, hence I will have no connection.

But I want to know, exactly which step of the guide are you now on? As I can explain what you need to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I´m on the first step:manually assign an IP address as192.168.1.x to the computer to match the default IP address (192.168.1.254) of the AP.

I know you can´t do the whole thing through teamviewer, but I´d appreciate if you do as much as you can and I´ll do the rest.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I cant do even this first step.

As you need to change the IP Address of the computer and connect it directly to the TP Link.

You wont have internet while doing this.

The computer you have is a Mac correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes is a Mac. Let me try it and will get back to you

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, you need to change the IP address on the MAC, and connect it to the TP Link via a network cable.

The change the IP Address

Click the Apple logo in the upper-right corner of your desktop, select System Preferences from the resulting drop-down list, and click the Network icon (the icon depicts a silver-gray globe with white flourishes).

Select Ethernet

Set to configure it manually.

You need to use the IP Address 192.168.1.50 and the router address as 192.168.1.254

Subnet is 255.255.255.0

Once set, you can communicate with the TP Link (remember you wont ave internet) but you can then go through and configure the device via the guide I gave you initially.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

I was trying last day without success, will get back to you on Monday. Thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Tell me please exactly where you got stuck, on which step, and we can get you sorted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, ethernet? Should I connect a cable?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I dont understand your response.

You mean you are stuck on the step to connect to the TP Link?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, this is too complicated for me. I think I will hire a technician to come and make the whole installation.

Can I just give you about 5 quids for your trouble and close the thread?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is up to you.

I would like to do the work for you directly on the computer, but this type of work you do not have internet while doing it, so it is not possible (else I would have done this initially).

I tried to support you on the steps you were getting stuck on, but it was not clear which step you were at and exactly how you were stuck. If you tell me this, I can explain what you are doing wrong.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, no problem for the rating. But I was wondering if there is any way to pay part of the payment instead of all.

If there is, can you explain how can I do it?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I cannot discuss payment sorry, I am just an engineer here

You would need to [email protected] for this if you wish to just do a part payment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX them

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard, I talked with them, will give you an excellent feedback and 5 pounds for your trouble.

Thanks so much.