Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have an iomega network hard drive and the folders have disappeared

I have an iomega network hard drive and the folders have disappeared from view. The connection is still there as I can see 1 file document and I copied a document over to test it? Can't get to any other folders that should be on there.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

can you tell me how you are viewing the files please? Via the Windows Explorer? Or via the web interface of the iomega?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Windows explorer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me the IP Address of the iomega Peter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes 192.168.1.72
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Click start, type in

\\192.168.1.72

Press enter and tell me if you now see the missing folders Peter.

If you see some folders, click into them to find yours

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok done that . It takes me to the network folders and when I open the one where my file were there is only 2 showing. The one that was left there and the one I copied over.
I've looked in the device properties and it's telling me that the disc / drive is empty -as -if new with nothing on there -but I've not deleted anything. Also when I type the name of a folder that I know should be thee in the start search bar - it comes up with a message about the folder directory being moved ?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Peter

Via my instructions, you are looking directly on the Hard Drive of the iOmega, so either by accident, or via corruption, the folders and files have been removed.

We will try to recover these.

Can you download the free program Recuva from my link below please.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva

Click on Download Latest Version in the top right.

Install it, but pay attention not to install any of the additional software it asks you to (this is why it is free).

Once done, run it and perform a scan on the iomega drive to try to find any files and folders to recovery.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok downloaded that but it says my request could not be completed as it could access the external drives folder ?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then it wont be able to recover Peter.

The folders have either been deleted or via Data Corruption, were lost.

If the drive is under warranty, I would really look at getting a warranty replacement, as if you are 100% sure you did not delete the files, then corruption occurred, and it is very likely this is going to happen again.

If the drive is not in warranty anymore, then I would strongly suggest to use a second drive as a secondary backup to this, or look at a service as www.dropbox.com as it is likely you will receive data corruption on the drive again.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I'm running a scan without specifying the location to see if they have been moved for some reason.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, that will only check the C Drive Peter (is a good program to keep int he event that you delete something on the computer)

But unless you ever copied the files to the computer, it will not find them sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so how can I access the cloud storage aspect of this device. It's telling me that there's no internet connection ...
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
What iomega model is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Home media network hard drive cloud edition 2 TB
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, you need to follow the instructions as described in my video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRAN1-KRu8

This will step you through how to set this up Peter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the setting up info - which I did when I set it up. The items I'm looking for are not on the cloud either. Does this mean I've lost the files - I thought the cloud was a back up medium?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, the cloud is for you to access the iomega away from home (so your own personal cloud).

It is not backing your data onto a cloud, this iomega do not provide as a service.

It does mean you have lost the files sorry Peter as we have done everything to try to recover these.

Richard, Network Architect
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking