Engineer Hamid
Engineer Hamid, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  BSc Computer Science, MTA, A+, MCP, MCTS, HP ExperOne.
76930927

Looks like the paper feed is not taking the paper in. The message

Looks like the paper feed is not taking the paper in. The message is that the printer isn't properly connected to the computer - it was OK yesterday!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What model printer is this?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Canon MG3200 series 2

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
What version of windows or mac is on the computer?
What happens if you try to make a copy from the glass?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a MacBook Pro

I don't know what you mean by make a copy from the glass

The printer was working fine only yesterday!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Making a copy will tell us if the feeder is working properly or not, if you have never done it before this page explains how to make a copy: Click Here Let me know if when doing that the copy goes through properly or not.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, it printed that straight away

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok on your Mac click on the apple menu and then about this mac, what version number does it say you have?
Is the printer connected to the Mac with a usb cable?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac says it's OS X Version 10.9.1

I believe it is connected wirelessly

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

.
OK have you restarted your Mac and the printer since this started?
.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

should I do another restart now we know it isn't the printer feed?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Please do and since you are not sure double check the printer as well and see if there is a usb cable connected from it to the Mac. If it is disconnect and reconnect both ends of that cable from the printer and the Mac itself. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no cable between the macbook and the printer

have restarted both computer and printer

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Did anything including the error change at all?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing changed

I've thought to try to find the printer installation - should that be on Applications?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Uninstall the printer from your mac.
This should be under the apply menu, then system preferences, and then print&fax.

You will need to restart the computer, you can get back to me by going to justanswer.co.uk and clicking on my questions at the top of the page.
Restart the computer and reinstall the printer the same place you removed it before.

Do not test the machine yet instead restart the computer again and then test it.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds the sort of thing I am incredibly inept at, but I can see it looks like the only remaining solution. Had a friend do the initial installation!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
If it is possible you could ask them to do these steps for you, you can take all the time you need to get back to me. If not and you get stuck let me know where you got stuck.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That friend is now in the US and I am in London!

I can see a minus ( - ) sign that seems to be the delete for the installed printer. If that's what to do I can go ahead and then try with the CD-ROM as you suggest. just don't want to risk that I'm doing anything potentially dangerous

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
The minus sign is indeed how you remove the printer.
You should not need to run the CD again. Instead after restarting the Mac go back to the same place you are not and click on add printer.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I'll try that and get back to you. Sorry to be so slow - your patience is appreciated.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Don't worry take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm really stuck now.

Have deleted the printer, restarted the computer and gone back to System Preferences and printer/scanner. Now at Add Printer, but I can't write anything in that window, and it doesn't give me default printer or last printer used.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
OK in that case you would want to run the CD again.
Otherwise if the add printer lists something like network printer choose that and see if the printer comes up.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, nothing doing with any lists so I'd better follow the manual and start from scratch with the CD-ROM.

Bear with me

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Take your time.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So now I have inserted the CD-ROM and have a set-up screen and nothing more

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok do you know if it was using AirPrint or WiFi before?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Don't know, but I would imagine wifi

Have clicked something correct and it is now downloading. Surprised!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok let me know the results when you can.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got all the way down the line and now stuck on getting the printer to be identified. I have the USB cable connected to the printer to enable wireless connection. I have the router details. But it isn't taking. The Troubleshooting screen is more confusing than helpful.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
This page may help it explains exactly how to connect using the usb cable over wifi: Click Here If you get stuck while doing it or are unsure about anything let me know.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Getting nowhere

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Where are you getting stuck?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At very nearly the last stage - identifying between Mac and printer and router

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok if it is not identifying over the network it means something is wrong with the network settings. I will opt out and move this to networking for you.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Meaning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing???

Expert:  Engineer Hamid replied 3 years ago.

Hello , my name isXXXXX have 13 years of hands-on repair with networking. I will be happy to help you.

Can I please remote in to your computer. Please let me know when your ready so I can generate the link for you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for getting in touch Hamid. I'll be away from this computer today and tomorrow - can we try to fix things on Monday?

With your colleague Freddie we got things right to the second last step and then somehow I couldn't get the computer to recognise the printer even though the printer was signalling that wifi was fine.

You would only need to read the last two or three postings in the long long discussions we had on this yesterday to be up to speed.

John

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply.
I have gone through the full conversation yesterday and just gone over it again to double check. It seems like we will run through a few checks when I remote on to the computer. I see that the printer has been restarted etc so we will skip these steps.
Monday should be fine completely. I will be online on Monday in the early afternoon, feel free to reply back when you are ready on Monday.
I look forward to hearing from you
Best Regards
Eng. Hamid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX we should be able to skip a lot of the steps I've been through, and you remoting in should be the biggest help.

Early afternoon UK time? Should be OK for me.

John

No problem since I am in London too so hopefully it should be all good?
Since we are online now what time will be best for you so I can prepare it. Would 3pm be a suitable time for you? If not let me know your best availability and I will work my way around it no problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let's fix for 3pm - that's easy for me if it's good for you too.

Thanks, John

No worries I have scheduled the session for 3pm, You should receive the link on to this page about 5 minutes before 3pm on Monday.
I look forward to remoting and investigating the problem.
Best Regards
Eng. Hamid
Hi John,
As discussed previously, please click on this link when you are ready and the session will start. The link is : https://www.fastsupport.com/792123517
It would also be handy if you can collect the IP address of the printer, this can be found under settings of the printer, network settings, IP Settings. If you are unable to find this, then no problems we will discuss during remote session.
Best Regards
Eng. Hamid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm here Hamid and ready when you are.

I think the IP settings is exactly where I might be totally lost so your guidance on that will be appreciated.

John

Brilliant John.
Can you please try this link :

https://www.fastsupport.com/696720183

If you click on it and just select to join the session. There may be the option of run or do you wish to allow, select yes.

Best Regards
Hamid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This has taken me to something called Citrix online - is that right?

3 possibilities - download, open and run. You want me to click Run on that?

Hi John,
Yes that is right. The remote company is called GoToAssist which is provided by Citrix.
Best Regards
Hamid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing happens when i double-click on it

Oh that's slightly unusual.
Can you try going on to it in the second method that is please go on: https://www.fastsupport.com/
When you see the support key box just copy this inNNN-NN-NNNN

Hopefully this will work.

Best Regards
Hamid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

then save the file?

I beleive as it is a mac it may just require to save the window, so if you press yes to that please.
It doesn't physically save the file but will store a temporary file.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK done that

No problem, Did you manage to get a window open that shows your screen so it says remote connection successful?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

I have a download called Citrix application Launcher is all

Ok can you please launch that program, it may ask you for the support key.
If connection doesn't seem to go through my instincts would be that the remote desktop server has gone down. Not the best day to go down but I can send you on the screen instructions if that helps. Would that be ok for you? If I for example send you the steps of instructions in which I would've done remotely for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I now have a dialogue screen and it's got your name so I think we might be in business here

Brilliant.
I think we are now connected.
Remote connected - Problem Resolved.
Experience: BSc Computer Science, MTA, A+, MCP, MCTS, HP ExperOne.