Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Curtis and Brousseau Building Society (CBBS)CBBS

Customer Question

Case study – Curtis and Brousseau Building Society (CBBS)

CBBS is a small building society based in Cardiff. CBBS currently has 3 sites in Cardiff: Roath (branch), Cyncoed (head office) and Thornhill (branch). CBBS also has two branches opening in Swansea and another opening in Newport. With this expansion of the business and the number of additional customers CBBS will serve, CBBS have decided to overhaul their computing and networking provision.

The current system

1. In each branch there are 5 front office machines used for transaction processing and 5 back office machines used for various administration purposes. Wireless technology may be considered. However the management are concerned about security. There is also an archive server and a real time transaction server. The branches also have an internet connection for the web mail program used by the building society via a secure internet gateway. You must provide a template network schematic for branch LANs that incorporates connections to all of the above including the IP subnet and gateway ranges.

2. Each branch has an archive server to record transactions made during the day (for auditing purposes). At the end of business hours, this information (up to 10 Gigabytes) is transferred to the Cyncoed office via a dedicated 2Gbps connection provided by a local ISP.

There have been some concerns that the use of a dedicated line with 64bit point to point encryption may not be adequate. You must comment upon the suitability of this connection considering the data that passes through it and if necessary suggest an alternative.

3. For the real time transaction server (which provides the system used to ensure funds are available at the cash desks), all records are held and accessed centrally in the Cyncoed office. All branches connect to this main server for any transaction, the current arrangement is likely to be inadequate considering the new customers coming to the building society.

Currently the server processes around 100 customers a day, this will double with the opening of the new branches. Each customer requires 5 megabytes (total) of upload and download to ensure payment is available. CBBS currently has an agreement on a private line providing 1Gbyte of bandwidth a day with a download/upload speed of 2Mbps – each transaction takes about 20 seconds to complete – CBBS finds this 20 seconds unacceptable and would like the processing time to be no more than 10 seconds. You will need to suggest a new bandwidth allocation and speed allocation for the real time transaction server.

You must write a 3000 word report that covers the three areas addressed in the above case study: 1. Provide a LAN template for wired/wireless implementation, 2. Comment on the suitability of the archive server connection, 3. Suggest appropriate bandwidth and download speeds for the real time transaction server. Read the above scenarios for the full detail of what is required

1. You must show all workings out, approximation is fine but results with no workings out will result in low marks
2. No third party companies, the building society wishes to remain in control of all information
3. Research your answers, it is unlikely that you will know how to do all of the assignment without reading up first. Be sure to cite references you have used.
4. The report format is a requirement, there will be some guidelines on blackboard if you do not know how to write reports.
Category: Networking
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and refund your deposit.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I'm still looking for help and will wait until I find help pls.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.