Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I cannot get my camera wifi connected to my ipad, keeps coming

Customer Question

I cannot get my camera wifi connected to my ipad, keeps coming up with wrong encription key. Camera ixus 255.
D. Thomas.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is Josh and I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Are you 100% sure that you are typing the right wireless password or do you think you need help finding it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I've checked the password with my ISP people
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
The ISP wouldn't know your wireless password.

Let's just double check to make sure and go from there..

Do you have a Windows 7 laptop that is connected wirelessly? If no, what is the make/model of your router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ISP told me where the encryption key is - that is what the camera is asking for. The router is a ThomsonTG585 v8.
Yes I have a windows 7 computer that I'm now switching on, presently on ipad.
D
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
The encryption key is the same as the wireless password .

Before we check on your laptop, are you entering the key as it is shown? (It must have capital letters when shown capital letter because it is case sensitive)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Exactly as it is on the router, many, many times
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Let's check to see if it was changed..

On the WIndows 7 laptop...

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center.

Click on Manage wireless networks on the left pane.

RIGHT click on your network and select Properties

Click on Security tab.

Click Show characters button to reveal and display the actual original network security key on screen

Use that password(displayed in the network key box) to connect to Wifi

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that and That is the number I've been putting in all along but does not work
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Okay - What is the exact error message that you receive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Encryption key incorrect
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
David,

Normally, this type of issue is because the letters are not being entered correctly onto the camera. Please go back and make sure each letter is being entered correctly because it can be tricky to get capital letters on the camera.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've done this many times is that all you've got after me wating twenty minutes, I told you I'd done this at the start of this "advice"
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
David,

I cannot see what you are doing. I can only tell you what 95% of the time is the issue.

Please unplug the router for 1 minute. Plug it back in and wait 1 minute.

Power off the camera and power it back on. Now try connecting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that no joy
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

It is not your networks Password you use, but the password you set on the camera when enabling the Wifi for it.

Basically the camera becomes a wireless router, and you are connecting directly to it.

I have the manual for you here. Review page 115 "Connecting to a smartphone" which is what your doing (the iPad is treated as a smartphone)

The manual you can get here

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300010566/01/IXUS_255_HS_Camera_User_Guide_EN.pdf

Let me know the results please

thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very good so far but the camera app displays the route SSID and will not allow me to enter the SSID on the camera
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You need to first Add a device, then it tells you its SSID and Encryption

Step 3 on page 115 of the manual.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do that and it says start connection on target camera....a circle revolves for two minutes and then bleeps and says connection failed - many times
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your choosing Camera,

You need to choose Smartphone.

Open the manual again and carefully follow the instructions on Page 115

You are selecting the wrong options. Carefully follow them and it will work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not choosing camera but I'm going through it again
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If it says

start connection on target camera

Then you have selected to have a camera connect to it.

Its the only reason for this message.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I press the smart phone and it comes up with SSID and encryption key. The camera window is on but shows the SSID for the router and I cannot change it
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, now when you have the SSID and encryption key

On the iPad, go to Settings, Wifi, and disconnect from the current network.

Then choose the SSID to connect to.

You need to connect the iPad to the wireless from the camera.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It tries to that for itself, showing the new SSID from the camera but there is nowhere for me to enter the encryption key and after a while the camera suddenly displays that it cannot find the device
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are doing this on the iPad.

So on the iPad, youi disconnect from the current wifi network, then connect to the network from the camera, which you see in the list (SSID)

When you connect it will ask you to enter the key.

Just like connecting to any wireless network on the iPad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been doing that. A moment ago it quite suddenly recorded a connection and displayed a photo on the ipad that is on the camera. It suddenly then declared that the connection had been broken and the photo is not on the ipad.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
So you were able to connect the iPad to the wireless network of the Camera?

What steps did you take, as I need to be sure you are now doing the steps right.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went to settings where it displayed the cameras SSID. I touched that number and it asked for a password so I put in the encryption key and waited. It stayed connected for a while offering me the option to transfer photos so I opted for the one it has show out of the blue. Nothing much happened then it camera declared that the connection had been lost - it is three inches from the ipad.
Would I have to do this every time?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this sounds right and yes you would.

As it transferred the photos to the iPad, then it closes the connection.

You are doing it right now.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks foe the help, Canon leave a lot to desired, could have said ipad was an iPhone, however will try.
Regards,
V
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I agree with you on that!

If you need anything else, please let me know, and please rmeember the service rating by clicking a smiley face below