arsufi
arsufi, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

The box to allow remote computer to access my pc is missing

Customer Question

The box to allow remote computer to access my pc is missing from the firewall set up, therefore I am unable to connect from the laptop. When I select the on options in advanced network sharing they only work if I turn off windows firewall. what should I do? thanks. John
Category: Networking
Expert:  Netman70 replied 2 years ago.

Netman70 :

Hi, Welcome to just answers, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Netman70 :

Can you please tell me which operating system you are using

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

Windows 7 professional

Netman70 :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX turn on the remote control click on start the little round orb on the left hand bottom of your screen and then right click on computer and select properties and you will see remote settings on the left

Netman70 :

click on remote settings and check the box that says allow remote connections and make sure the right button is checked bellow that

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

Ok done that

Netman70 :

Then that should be all you have to do to allow remote windows connections

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

it says you must enable windows firewall for remote desktop

Netman70 :

Go ahead and enable it

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

I've done that

Netman70 :

Ok is it working?

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

Not working remote laptop says it cannot find the remote computer

Netman70 :

How are you trying to connect to the remote computer?

Netman70 :

Are you using the remote desktop connection client in windows?

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

from the laptop, which has connected with my desktop ok in the past and will still connect if I disable the windows firewall.

Netman70 :

If you disable it on the laptop

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

no on the desktop

Netman70 :

try this on the desktop 1.Select Start, type firewall, and then select Windows Firewall in the search results. The Windows Firewall window appears.
2.Click the Allow a Program or Feature Through Windows Firewall link.
3.click the Change Settings button;
4.Activate the check box beside Remote Desktop.
5.Click OK. Windows enables the firewall exception for Remote Desktop

Netman70 :

You should reallly use a different firewall windows firewall causes alot of issues.

Netman70 :

A good free one is comodo internet security

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

that's the problem the box is missing

Netman70 :

Yea windows firewall is not my favorite

Netman70 :

Are you logged in as administrator

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

yes

Netman70 :

Ok I will open this question back up and see if any of the other experts has a better idea for you, Have a great day and good luck.

JACUSTOMER-5m329pf5- :

Thanks for that. I have to close now for 3 hours

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX of the expert in computer category. I would like to assist on this issue and will be your next active expert.

Please let me know where you are available

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Arsufi, I am now available for around anf hour or so, thanks

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.

It seems your machines are not talking each other. Lets check if both of them atleast ping each other. Please turned off firewall while doing this activity.

If you know to ping both machines please do it and reply status. Check if you can ping both
machines

Here's the procedure for refernece

Note down ip address of both machines.
1: Turn off Desktop and Laptop firewall

Now do this on Laptop
1: Open Command Prompt
(Click Start > on search box type cmd press enter key)
2: On Command prompt window type ping (ip address of desktop) press enter key
eg: If desktop ip addess is 192.168.1.5 then you must enter ping 192.168.1.5 press enter key
Now check if it replys or timed out

Now do this on Desktop
1: Open Command Prompt
2: On Command prompt window type ping (ip address of laptop) press enter key
eg: If Laptop ip addess is 192.168.1.2 then you must enter ping 192.168.1.2 press enter key
Now check if it replys or timed out

Please update status

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Arsufi,

I will carry out your suggestion as soon as I can I am very busy at the moment and may not get an opportunity to do so for a day or two, however I will get back to you as soon as possible, John.

Expert:  arsufi replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Please carry out the procedure when you have time
(Mention IP address of both machines if both of them gives timed out)