p0llinate
p0llinate, Consultant
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

my xbox keeps cutting out every 30mins to 1 hour

Customer Question

Category: Networking
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please? What exactly is cutting out? Online game play? Online media streaming (like netflix)? Or is live gameplay audio/video freezing on your tv?

Nathan :

Are you using a wifi or wired ethernet connection to the xbox?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry to have taken so long to get back

its when I play online game play

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Wilf, but I still need more info:

Wired or wifi?

Can you go to speedtest.net and let me know your ping, up, and down?

When you say "cut out", do you mean that the game ends entirely, that it pauses briefly, or just the action slows down and seems unresponsive?

Does it usually resolve itself after a few minutes or do you have to shut down and restart?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Nathan

we have wifi

the game disconnects from internet & freezes

yes it starts again once I shut down & start again

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Are all of the software/firmware updates for the xbox installed? (if it is a hacked box, that wouldn't work)

Can you possibly try connecting the xbox (even just temporarily) to a wired ethernet connection to see if that helps? This will tell us at least if it is just a problem with the wifi connection dropping.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nathan

sorry to sound dim but how can I connect my xbox to a wired Ethernet connection? I've never heard of that before!!

kind regards Wilf

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Wired ethernet is a cat5 or cat6 ethernet cable. Look at the back of your router, and you'll see several ethernet ports. There should be a matching one on the xbox, connect them with an ethernet cable, for a direct wired connection (instead of wireless). This is more reliable as the signal won't ever drop out like wifi can, and it is much faster too.