Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have a pc with vista and a Netgear N300 wireless adaptor.

I have a pc with vista and a Netgear N300 wireless adaptor. It sees the 2 wireless networks I have in my house but cannot connect to them. It can however connect to my local orange hotspot. This is what I am talking to you on now. My laptop, phone and tablet all connect to the wireless networks. Why won't my pc?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX you for your question and the opportunity to assist. I know this sounds counterintuitive since you have other devices connected to it but it could be your router that is the issue. Can you remove the power from it for 60 seconds, plug it back in and allow 2 - 3 minutes for it to fully restart and try connecting the Vista PC again. If the N300 can connect to a local hotspot then it is obviously working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I have donethat but the same result - windows cannot connect to Livebox

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
When did this start happening?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yesterday. I have been away and my pc has not been used for 6 months. There was a problem with my old netgear adaptor which wasn't recognised so I bought a new one. It can see the networks but not connect to them

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Keith

6 months? Have you run Windows update on it since you started using it again?

If not, hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R.

In the text area type: wuapp

and click OK and check for updates.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I updated it yesterday.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Would it be possible to connect the PC to your router with a network cable and get it on the internet so I could connect to it remotely and troubleshoot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its on the internet at the moment I am talking to you through the local hot spot. Can you work through thois as router is way away from pc

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

That won't work well. Part of the reason it needs to be connected to the router is that I need to look at settings not only on the computer but the router as well since that's what you're having trouble getting connected to.

We can schedule a time if you'd like? I'm on the East coast US, which is GMT -5.

It's 6:47AM here right now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I am in France GMT + 2 so its 12.45 now. Give me 2 hours 14.45 and I will get it set up. By the way I have two routers in the house and it cannot connect to either. Although all my other items can.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Two hours it is. I'll post again then. I'll be able to see from my screen if you're connected to the question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
See you then. Thanks
Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Keith. Here are two things I'd like you to try before I connect. These require a restart of the machine so they should be done before I connect to it as that would break the connection.

-

Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't delete the driver when prompted). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall.

Next, please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and check.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

During this interval I've been doing a little research on the diagnostic policy service and Vista and wireless connections. Seems a lot of people have had similar issues.

Please perform these steps:

Go to Start>>All Programs>>Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator"

At the flashing prompt type:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter (should return "Command completed successfully"

then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter (should succeed again)

then type:exit
press enter and restart your computer.

If you happen to read this before doing the things I posted earlier please try these steps first.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
Hi Keith. I am here. Were you able to try the things I posted above?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i enter coomand prompt i dont get choice of run as administrator and when i do winsock bit it says run programme elevated

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

When you go to Start >>All Programs>> Accessories and you see the Command Prompt entry, Right-click on it.

A menu should open giving you the option to select Run as Administrator

-

do my last instructions first

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried local group command it says option unknown

The syntax is :

NET LOCALGROUP

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

I'm not certain what you mean above. Try the commands this way:

-

net localgroup administrators localservice /add

-

net localgroup administrators networkservice /add

-

They should work both ways. Observe spacing.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.
I know it may look like it above but there is no space between the / and add
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whilst waiting I tried your first solution and I am now connected to my Livebox wirelessly. I will have a go at the other again as I would like to regain the diagnostics sercice

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

Great that you are now connected. Let me know how it goes. I ran those commands both ways on a Vista machine, they should work for you.

Expert:  Byron replied 3 years ago.

You can also run Windows system file checker to repair or replace any missing or damaged files.

Open the administrative command prompt and type: sfc /scannow and press enter to start the process.

Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience: A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.