Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

my mobile broadband dongle will work on my desktop but

my virgin mobile broadband dongle will work on my desktop but not my laptop
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Are you getting a specific error when it fails to work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it just fails to connect

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Whats the exact error you get Giles?

And is this occuring during installing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was working fine until my battery ran out when i started it up again it would not connect when i returned home i plugged it into my desk top and it connected ok ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Which version of windows is on the Laptop Giles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8:1 only had it for a week

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks,

It got corrupted when it shut down so we need to undo this via a system restore.

To do this, please do the following

Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type restore point. When the search results appear click on the Settings category.

Now click on the option labeled Create a restore point and you will be brought to the System Protection tab of the System Properties control panel.

Click on the System Restore button and you will be presented with the main screen for System Restore. Now click on the Next button and you will be shown a list of available restore points that you can restore.

Select the restore point you wish to restore by left-clicking on the entry once. Use a date when this was working, so before yesterday

Then click on the Next button at the restore point selection screen. You will now be at a screen asking if you are sure you wish to perform the restore.

Click on the Finish button. System Restore will once again ask if you are sure you wish to continue. If you are sure, please click on the Yes button.

System Restore will now reboot your computer and begin the restore process. Please be patient as this can take quite some time.

When its finished, tell me if the Dongle now works please Giles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i need to go out now so if its ok i will reply later after reboot complete thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all Giles.

The restore should get it working, but I have marked this question to never close, so any issues at any time, just let me know here. No problem with this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.