hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer networking problems
40928634

Cant connect to internet via laptop, was advised that update

Can't connect to internet via laptop, was advised that update failure is the cause (can connect via wifi to other devices) , the failure message is "failure configuring windows update reverting changes"
Can anyway guide through how to overcome this as canot connect?
Category: Networking
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.

Can you connect to the Internet if you use a cable to connect the laptop to the wireless router in your home?

What version of Windows are you using?

If you can connect to the Internet, please go to this webpage and try the "fix it" programme which will appear.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

After using the fix it then please try do the updates again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Using windows 8
Cannot connect via wire or wireless hence cannot open the link to 'fixit'?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just realised I can connect to explorer but not to chrome

Can you connect to the Internet by wireless using Chrome but not Explorer?

So when you go to the update site can you still not do it via wireless or wired?

To check for updates

1. Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.

2. Tap or click Check now, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your PC.

3. If updates are found, tap or click Install updates.

Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

canot connect to internet using chrome wireless (nor wire) only explorer

I just tried the fix it and it couldn't fix it, advised failed to fix the update issue

updates are found but computer fails to update time and again

Hello there,

Did anything lead up to this please?

Was the Internet working for you before you tried to do the updates?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes internet was working, it is also working now (both on chrome and ie) both wire and wireless but still fails to update

Ok so you can now connect to the Internet.

So we're not chasing our tails and to make sure that malware isn't affecting the update process, please download, install and run the free malwarebytes program which you can get from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

Also I am confused that you could get Internet on one browser and not the other but now you can connect with no problem.

To make sure that your network isn't causing the problem because other devices are slowing your Internet connection, please try the updates with just your computer connected to the Internet

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just finished running the malware as advised

Did you find any malware?

If you reboot your computer and try to download the updates can you now get them please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the malware did the trick