Josh
Josh, Helpdesk
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I am trying to re-register my bfs old kindle to my account.

I am trying to re-register my bf's old kindle to my account. I am connected to the wifi. The signal bars are all the way up. He de-registered it online. However, when I add my email address and passoword, I get this message "Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Plesase make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again." We have restarted the Kindle several times and no luck. there are no other networks on our list. Version: Kindle 3.0.1
Category: Networking
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please try unplugging the router and powering off the Kindle. Power on the router and wait 1 minute then power on the Kindle; try again.

Let me know if it does not work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This did not work. I should mention, this Kindle can only restart. And I cannot really turn it off for one minute.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Kate,

No problem; a restart is the same as a power off for these steps.

Please click here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

Let me know which Kindle model that you have by name based on the pictures
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a Kindle keyboard

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Kate,

I would recommend a factory restore on the Kindle then register it to your account. Sometimes the software is glitched and it requires a factory restore.

To view a short video to see the way to restore, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUtEcNWvRr0
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I reset, reentered wifi, signal appears strong. Same message of "unable to connect" etc

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
When was the last time the Kindle connected to the wireless network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure what you mean. It was showing that it was connected to the wireless before I reset it. Then after the reset, I had to reenter the password XXXXX get it to connect. Then I attempted to register and got the same message, while I have "wi-fi llll" icons at top of screen

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Kate,

When was the last time it connected to the network and worked properly? Did the Kindle work properly before your boyfriend deregistered it or was it not used for a long period before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this uses "whisper net" so I just use the 3 G. He says last time he would have used the wifi would be a few years ago, possibly only when he first registered it 4 yrs ago

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Kate for confirming it uses 3G.

Do you have the Wi-Fi turned off on the Kindle so it can use 3G properly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I tried to register it with the wifi off, (I was hoping I could register it with the 3G) I got the same message about not being connected to wifi

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Okay - I noticed that you said you are using 3.0.1 which is an old software version.

Let's update the software then try registering it again..

In the settings menu, you should see Update your Kindle

Please perform the updates
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the settings page, there is no "update your Kindle". However, in the menu, "update your Kindle" is grayed out

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Okay, you will need to update the software by connecting the Kindle via USB to your computer and running the software update.

Click here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200529700

Download the software updates, connect your Kindle, and perform the software update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Installing the 3 updates seemed to do it, thanks for your help!

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
You are so welcome!

Please take a minute and rate our session below using the smiley faces and press Submit so I am credited with helping you