Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have a Panasonic TX-P42G10B television. When it is turned

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic TX-P42G10B television. When it is turned on my BTHomehub3 router goes to zero download speed and when the TV is switched off I get 13/14 meg. Do you know of a fix for this problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Has this always happened from the start?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not really 100% sure about that but been having network speed problems for some months now. Lots of discussion with BT and have had engineer round. They say they can find no problem with line from exchange to router and this is delivering 15/17 meg. It was only yesterday when I was trying to further identify any internal problems that I discovered this problem which I have tested many times now and it is consistent.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Danny

I want you to start by resetting the BT Hub

On the back is a reset button. Push this in for 10 seconds, while the Hub is on, then release.

Wait 5 minutes.

Remove the power from the TV, wait 5 minutes the power on the TV.

Connect it again to the wireless network and let me know if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A bit inconclusive. 12 meg when tv off and 1.5/2.5 meg when on so still some conflict. Maybe a bit better overall but will need to monitor to prove further. As I say there is still a gross difference when tv off/on
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I want you to reset the TV to rule out anything on it that is generating the network traffic.

To do this, go to Menu, Setup, System Menu, Shipping Conditions

Then follow the onscreen instructions to Reset to Factory Shipping Condition

Then check the traffic and let me know if it has improved.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That seems to have done something, 10meg on 12meg off. I think we will run with this and see where it goes. I have to go to a meeting now which may last rest of day so won't be able to do more tests until evening.
Thanks for your help .
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It should be ok now as we have returned everything to new.

But I have marked this question to never close, so no time limit on letting me know if you have issues again.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard,
Things seem to have reverted to original. 0.4/0.5 with tv on and 11/12 with tv off.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, and if you reset the TV again, does this correct it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, someone watching live World Cup football at the moment so will try a further reset when finished
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Seems to make a slight difference, 3/4 tv on 9/10 tv off
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Its the TV that is generating the extra traffic, and it cannot be a service as we removed them all via a reset.

The only reason then would be a faulting network card that generates a substantial amount of traffic due to the fault, and would need replacement.

We have ruled out all other causes for this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok will speak to Panasonic tomorrow as TV is still under warranty.
Thanks and will contact you again if this works.
I presume I can still contact you in the next days/weeks through this media.
Danny
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Even months you can contact me Danny, meaning no timelimit.

just be sure to tell Panasonic all the things we did.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
TV now with Panasonic to investigate and hopefully fix. I did leave you a good rating. I will inform you of the outcome. they say it may take a week to ten days.
regards
Danny Mackay
*****@******.***