MichelleNetwork
MichelleNetwork, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  MCP
26798893

I have a samsung laptop which is refusing to connect to the

I have a samsung laptop which is refusing to connect to the internet. It is running windows 8.
Model NP350V5C-A0EUK
s/N - HYR598FCCD3FN2R
The message that comes up in both explorer and Chrome indicates that a firewall may be blocking. I have removed Norton and have disabled the firewalls. I have no idea what else to do - other than throw away the laptop and make sure I never buy a samsung laptop again.
Category: Networking
Expert:  MichelleNetwork replied 2 years ago.
MichelleNetwork :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. \

MichelleNetwork :

let me know when you are ready

Customer:

Hi Michelle, I am Caroline,I am ready, am communicating to you from a desktop - the laptop is with me.

MichelleNetwork :

is it possible to connect the laptop hardwired to the wireless router and check if you can connect to the internet fine.

MichelleNetwork :

i can remote access the laptop check the settings and will fix the wireless for you.

Customer:

working out where a cable might be for me to do as you ask. will be a couple of minutes because will have to go to another room to do this

MichelleNetwork :

take you time it would be a blue or a yellow colored lan cable

Customer:

cable plugged in direct - same error message coming up - not connecting to the internet

MichelleNetwork :

do you have any data on the laptop which you might need to save it on a disk

MichelleNetwork :

how old is the laptop

Customer:

The laptop is about 18 months old. It has some data on it, but have a hard drive I could copy to

MichelleNetwork :

i think the network card and the wireless card software is corrupted due to which its not working

MichelleNetwork :

however i would like to fix the problem from the root cause.

MichelleNetwork :

back up your data and after you backed up your files remove the external hard drive from the laptop and follow factory restore steps.

Customer:

follow factory restore steps

MichelleNetwork :

Steps to follow after backing up data on external drive, this will bring back the computer like out of box.

Customer:

where do i find restore?

MichelleNetwork :

i will give you the steps

MichelleNetwork :

when was the last time it was connecting to the internet fine without a problem

Customer:

a couple of weeks ago

MichelleNetwork :

Steps to follow after backing up data:

Customer:

found a screen that is Update & Recovery and has an option that is remove everything and reinstall windows to factory settings

MichelleNetwork :

1. Shut down the laptop completely, make sure the power adapter is connected and have power on from the wall outlet.

MichelleNetwork :

ok good thats what we want

MichelleNetwork :

factory recovery.

Customer:

power supply connected

MichelleNetwork :

From the Update & Recovery choose the option reinstall windows to factory settings.

Customer:

ok it is doing it

MichelleNetwork :

alright

MichelleNetwork :

This will take 20 to 30 mins to complete the restore.

MichelleNetwork :

let me know if there is any problem found while running restore.

Customer:

will do. it is at 13% now

MichelleNetwork :

alright

MichelleNetwork :

how much it has completed now?

Customer:

it is not saying

MichelleNetwork :

ok

MichelleNetwork :

what up there on the screen

Customer:

need to choose the language

MichelleNetwork :

select english

MichelleNetwork :

follow the onscreen instructions and proceed to complete the installation process.

Customer:

ok has asked me to connect to wireless - so have put in the password ***** this. suggests I go for Express settings

MichelleNetwork :

yes

Customer:

ok it has done the set up and I have the homescreen

MichelleNetwork :

windows 8 is loaded successfully

Customer:

eventhough this should be a complete refresh - it has a desktop image from before

MichelleNetwork :

now try to connect entering the correct ssid and the router password

Customer:

it asked me to do that as part of the set-up. We only have explorer at the moment but this is now connectinig to the internet through wirelesds

MichelleNetwork :

it connected fine to the internet using the wireless?

Customer:

yes

MichelleNetwork :

browse some internet pages like google or yahoo

Customer:

seems to be working fine

MichelleNetwork :

i am glad it worked

MichelleNetwork :

now run the windows update and restore your backed up files.

MichelleNetwork :

you are back in business.

Customer:

MichelleNetwork :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, effort and the Information you got, then provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and hit submit to complete the rating system.

MichelleNetwork :

Customer:

thank you will do.

Experience: MCP