JamesI
JamesI, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  James is CCNA certified and has experience setting up fibre and ethernet networks, and managing corporate network implementations
75967336

sometimes when trying to connect tv to Microsoft media player

sometimes when trying to connect tv to Microsoft media player a message will say unable to connect but other times it will, but after 10 mins it will lose the connection
Category: Networking
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
JamesInch :

Can you please explain your setup, what devices your using and how they are connected (WiFi, Ethernet etc), and what router or modem your using to interface them all.

Customer:

PANASONIC TV MODEL FT60B

Customer:

Panasonic FT60B BT modem 3B via Ethernet cable is connected into a set top box

JamesInch :

Right and your access media player connect to what device (and how is that conencted to the modem)

JamesInch :

Sorry let me reword that...
Your trying to access media player, what device is hosting this and how is it connected to the modem

Customer:

connected via PC Im not sure what yon mean by device

JamesInch :

The device is the PC

JamesInch :

How is the PC connected to the modem

Customer:

ethernet

JamesInch :

Are you using a direct ethernet cable to the modem (for both TV and PC) or using one of the powerline adapaters you plug into the wall

Customer:

Ethernet for both

JamesInch :

Is the PC setup to go to sleep or standby, at any point?

JamesInch :

When you expereince the intermittent fault is it normally first time the TV is switched on or is it after a few minutes of the TV being on?

Customer:

no

JamesInch :

Customer:

the tv has been on for sometimes for over an hour

JamesInch :

Ok, when you have this fault are you able to access online content

Customer:

yes

JamesInch :

Such as web browser or netflix

Customer:

yes

JamesInch :

Ok this rules our a DHCP \ network issue on the TV

JamesInch :

Do you have problems access content on your PC from other devices such as Ipad's or laptops

Customer:

no

JamesInch :

The standard 'defualt' responses hardware vendors will ask is have all devices had the latest updates

JamesInch :

Ie is your TV up to date in terms of the latest released firmware version

Customer:

yes

JamesInch :

As your issue is with a TV its a bit of a tricky one, what you can do is on the PC open up command line prompt (type CMD) in the start menu

JamesInch :

A black DOS screen will load type in PING <IP ADDRESS> -T

Where <IP Address> is the one assigned to the TV

This will run for ever until you close the window, when the TV has an issue again go to the PC and scroll through the log, and see if any say "request timed out" or "destination unreachable"

Customer:

ok do I try this now

JamesInch :

I would then open a second DOS box but this time use the same command but use the IP address for the router (which is the Gateway address)

Customer:

sorry what is a dos box

JamesInch :

Keep both of those running it wont cause much of a performance issue on your machine no more than leaving MS word open :-)

If you see the error on both screens the fault is either the router (most likly) or the PC network card \ operating system

If its only on the TV IP its the TV, which could be software or hardware.

JamesInch :

A DOS box is a black window which will say Command Prompt at the top

JamesInch :

These ping's we have setup are known as a heart beat, so the TV one will fail when it powered off (as you would expect) but should be 98% successful when turned on, a few dropped packets (pings) is normal but more than 2 in a row is a clear issue.

JamesInch :

If you write down the command and have a laptop I would setup the same CMD PING on your laptop but pointing to your PC, so if the TV doesnt work but your seeing successful packets it rules our PC\Router issue, and it must be the TV

JamesInch :

You should also be seeing the for a returned ping to be less than 50ms

JamesInch :

Please let me know how you get on with the PINGs, I would also suggest you restart you router once a week, but as your only having issues connecting from the TV to the PC and can freely access the internet from the TV its abit of a strange one.

Customer:

Im sorry you are losing me with with pings packets it is getting too technical

JamesInch :

Sorry,

JamesInch :

So hopefully you have two DOS (command prompt) windows running on your PC

JamesInch :

One using the IP address of your TV, the other the gateway address of your router

Customer:

how do I find that out

JamesInch :

Each line you see on the DOS screen is called a "ping", this is a data packet sent to the destination asking it to respond. If after a given time it doesnt respond it comes back as failed.

JamesInch :

Do you need both IP's or just the one for your router?

Customer:

I don't no as I said its getting too technical It seems to me I will have to get a Pc engineer out

JamesInch :

Possibley the issue I can forsee though is without knowing which device is causing the issue you could end up being told to change your router, network cable, network card etc and them spend hours on sites tweaking software.

JamesInch :

If you go to your PC. Press start, then type CMD a black box will appear.

If you type IP CONFIG

JamesInch :

and press enter it will then retrun some text link this..

JamesInch :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.7
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.254

JamesInch :

The default gateway 192.168.2.254 is the IP address in my case, so I would then type:

PING 192.168.2.254 -T

and it will start writing a line on the screen every few seconds, and look something like.
Pinging myatos.net [192.168.2.254] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.254: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=244
Reply from 192.168.2.254: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=244
Reply from 192.168.2.254: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=244

Customer:

Do you want me to use the lap top or this pc to perform this

JamesInch :

I would use the PC initally

Customer:

can I do this while connected to you

JamesInch :

And you can minimise it and leave it to run all the time and only need to check it when the tv gives you the error emssage

JamesInch :

Yes

JamesInch :

If you prefer we can do a remote session and I can set it up for you?

JamesInch :

If you want to do a remote session please go to the link below, and click RUN if prompted and accept any other messages.
https://broker.gotoassist.com/h/ao?Question=DR818-078-532

Customer:

is not recognized as an internal or external command

JamesInch :

To assist you further we will have to do a remote session I am affraid, are you using the PC now to connect to me?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when you finished the session the connection to tv was ok and a film was playing but the next night DLNA SERVER NOT FOUND appeared so it looks like the problem has reoccured

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.

What did the PINGs show, did both show a failure or just one?

Once we know what the result of the pings are I can direct you to the area causing the issue.

James
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

none showed an error

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

neither

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a film playing for over an hour today 11/08/2014 and it didn't disconnect then turned off tv and tried later and it couldn't connect to server

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
Ok so this isnt a network error then, it has to be either with your computer locking up and failing to respond to your TV request to play the video.
When I was remotely connect it didnt freeze a few times so it may be advisable to re-install windows on it, as its most likely the computer taking to long to reply back to the TV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that will mean all the working folders e-mail addresses etc will

be lost ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just tried connection again 10.30 BST and is working ok

seems like a time issue after 15.00 BST connection drops out after aprox 10 mins or no connection shows right away

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
It could be your virus guard doing a scan or update at that specific time which is causing the issue.

The network routing is all working so its not anything to do with the lan switch (BT Hub) you have.

You could backup your files onto a removable hard disk using the Microsoft Backup and Restore Utility, this will let you backup all your settings and restore them once you have re-installed Windows.

I still think the issue lies with the performance of your PC, and the best way to address that is a rebuild.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your advice I will try and enhance the performance

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 years ago.
No problem.