A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

I have replaced a Belkin.73C6 router with Netgear

I have replaced a Belkin.73C6 router with Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Router. But now I am unable to make it 'talk' with a retained Belkin N300 DB Range Extender. The instructions with the latter worked OK with the Belkin router but the instructions with the extender simply do not work with the Netgear. Also the Belkin.73C6_xt no longer works with my iPhone, keeps asking for a network password ***** does not react either with the old Belkin password ***** the new Netgear password. Can you please provide a step-by-step installation both for the extender to work with the Netgear and with my iPhone? Bit desperate... T. XXXX

Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question.

A. Stevens :

I see you are having a problem connecting to your range extender with your new router.

A. Stevens :

Would doing a factory reset of your new router be an option?

Customer: Tried that too
A. Stevens :

And how about firmware updates?

Customer:

What are they?? updates for which device?

A. Stevens :

Firstly the extender.

A. Stevens :

Then if that still does not work then the router as well.

Customer:

I have already said I have reset the extender. The router is brandnew and was installed only yesterday

A. Stevens :

Resetting the extender and updating the firmware are 2 different procedures

A. Stevens :

Can you please give me more time to help you before you rate my answer?

A. Stevens :

I have not been able to work through the troubleshooting with you fully at this time.

Customer:

OK. But be aware I am not able to feel I have had value for money, in fact the opposite...

A. Stevens :

OK, well I need to go through troubleshooting steps with you.

A. Stevens :

If you are not happy with the answer you are fully entitled to ask for a refund from customer service.

Customer:

ok

A. Stevens :

So when you go through the setup for the extender

A. Stevens :

where does it fail?

Customer:

As I stated in my first email to which please refer contrary to what the extender's instruction card says there is not a listing among available networks "Belkin.setup" though Belkin.73C6_xt is still showing, But clicking on that is no good because whichever of the 2 passwords I use (see first email) I get "unable to connect to Belkin.73C6_xt"

A. Stevens :

I'm a little confused now. Do you have 2 routers on at this time then?

Customer:

Also I should add that when the extender is plugged in the yellow light is flashing and not glowing steadily - even after hours

Customer:

I just have one router, the Netgear. The extender worked well with the previous router, a Belkin,73C6 but that failed and was yesterday replaced by the Netgear

A. Stevens :

Give me a moment while I take a look over some information about the extender.

Customer:

Sure

A. Stevens :

I understand what you are explaining, but then you mentioned that the old router is still broadcasting

A. Stevens :

So I am a little confused about that

A. Stevens :

... is not a listing among available networks "Belkin.setup" though Belkin.73C6_xt is still showing, But...

A. Stevens :

I'm not sure why you would still be seeing the old router SSID being broadcasted

Customer:

It is NOT, It is discarded. Where did you get that from?

A. Stevens :

You've wrote that to me earlier in this chat

Customer:

I don't think so, Give me the time of my message that says that for me to check

A. Stevens :

<div class="JA_chatMsgAuthor"Customersays:

11:02 AM

Customer:

That does not say anything about the router! That says the extender ie the _xt shows up on the available networks

A. Stevens :

OK, I apoligize for the confusion.

A. Stevens :

I thought that you meant your old router SSID was Belkin.73C6_xt

A. Stevens :

So at this point are you able to access the extender configuration page at all from any device?

Customer:

Not sure what you mean by configuration page. I got as far as being asked for a security key or password, Neither the old password ***** the new one fro the Netgear works

Customer:

any chance of speaking on a phone to avoid all these misunderstandings?

A. Stevens :

We can offer additional services for a phone call or remote desktop session but there is a fee involved

Customer:

oh no then

A. Stevens :

OK so even after a factory reset of the device

A. Stevens :

you cannot access the extender setup network from your computer at all with the factory default password?

Customer:

I have just pressed inside the reset 'hole' for 15 seconds. After the initial blue light it is again blinking yellw. What does that signify and does this answer your Q? Bell

A. Stevens :

Is it yellow, or amber?

Customer:

The available network list still does not show Belkin.setup

A. Stevens :

Are you able to connect the extender directly to your router using a ethernet cable?

Customer:

I do not understand the difeerence between the 2 colours. To me it looks the same colour as it did when it worked with the old router

Customer:

I just did

A. Stevens :

does the light change?

Customer:

no change in the flashing

A. Stevens :

so now that it's connected by cable

A. Stevens :

on your computer can you access

A. Stevens :

http://belkin.range

Customer: Just lost the connection to you. So now I am using my iPhone to continue the chat.
Customer: After plugging in the Ethernet cable and typing Belkin.range
Customer: I got a choice of
Customer: leave the webpage to the chat or staying on it but if I go for staying on the search for Belkin.range is not responding
Customer: pls respond to me to re establish the chat
A. Stevens :

where are you typing that in at?

Customer: In the top search window
A. Stevens :

can you open another browser window to try it?

Customer: I am then asked for a password ***** above what then happens
A. Stevens :

what if you try to enter with no password

A. Stevens :

leave the password *****

Customer: I am sorry but I must stop now. I do not feel my problem was addressed well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have taken alternative steps it was just too frustrating