A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

good morning, i have an old sky sagemcom V6 router which i

good morning, i have an old sky sagemcom V6 router which i would like to use to replace an old one currently running. Is it possible to re-configure the router to enable its use?
Thankyou
Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

A. Stevens :

I can definitely try to help you to match the settings on your old router to program the new one.

A. Stevens :

I would just need to get some more information from you about your current setup.

A. Stevens :

Please let me know when you return, so that we can continue working on this question. I will respond as soon as possible when I see your reply.

Customer:

hi A

Customer:

are you online now?

A. Stevens :

Hi, yes I am here.

A. Stevens :

So could you please let me know what devices are on your network?

Customer:

hi buddy, I have the old router here and it was given to my sister as her current one keeps crashing

A. Stevens :

Also do you have any kind of special network connections or anything like that?

Customer:

well the existing router has two wifi channels and an adsl port, that's about it

A. Stevens :

When you mean 2 wifi channels?

A. Stevens :

It has two different networks broadcasting?

Customer:

my main query is the re-configuration so she can use her current isp

A. Stevens :

Could you tell me who the ISP is?

Customer:

well when you log into the router as a guest at her hotel, it gives you two options which are named differently but from the same router if that makes sense

A. Stevens :

Ah, yes I understand.

A. Stevens :

Probably one guest network and one regular network.

Customer:

I will just ask her

A. Stevens :

Correct?

Customer:

yes your correct

A. Stevens :

So let me check the firmware on the Sagecom router to see if it can do this.

Customer:

ok

A. Stevens :

Do you know the kind of router that is being used now?

Customer:

her current isp is unicom

A. Stevens :

It looks like your Sage V6 should be able to broadcast multiple SSID.

A. Stevens :

Is the sagemcom router from Sky?

Customer:

ok so whilst not an expert, how would I go about reconfiguring it to work

Customer:

yes it is

A. Stevens :

Do you know if she is using DSL with Unicorn?

A. Stevens :

The first thing I would do is contact the customer care with her ISP to see if the modem will be compatible with her service.

Customer:

yes I eleive it is

Customer:

dsl I mean

A. Stevens :

So I would contact Unicorn to make sure

A. Stevens :

You should be able to provide them the MAC or serial number of the modem

A. Stevens :

To be sure it will connect to the internet

Customer:

I was led to understand that the router could be re-configured manually to work with any isp hence the reason for my question

A. Stevens :

OK, so is your question how to configure the router to connect to the internet? Or how to create the multiple wireless networks?

Customer:

how to configure the router to connect to internet, thank you

A. Stevens :

OK, please give me one moment while I gather some information about the ISP

A. Stevens :

Could you tell me is it also in the UK?

Customer:

yes in uk

A. Stevens :

Ok, so here are the Unicom Broadband Settings

A. Stevens :

You would need to get to the interface of the Sagecom router to change these settings.

A. Stevens :

If the settings are not readilly accessible to be changed, you would have to then flash the router with a custom Firmware that would allow the change in settings.

A. Stevens :

Since it is from Sky, it maybe be locked to Sky service at the moment.

Customer:

and is it possible to get into the settings?

A. Stevens :

It may or may not be depending on the software installed on the router currently.

A. Stevens :

if not you would then have to flash a custom software on the unit.

A. Stevens :

If you have to do that, I would actually suggest just getting a new router/modem directly form Unicom

Customer:

again, if I have instructions I am capable of doing that

A. Stevens :

I think that you would actually get a better connection that way

A. Stevens :

Should be able to follow : these instructions

A. Stevens :

To flash your router

A. Stevens :

Again, I would consider just getting a router from Unicom if this is required

A. Stevens :

Because sometimes using a custom Firmware can cause broadband connectivity issues.

A. Stevens :

Again, just a suggestion.

A. Stevens :

But you can follow those instructions I sent to flash the FW to allow custom settings for a different ISP.

Customer:

well if I follow your advice with flashing etc, is there anything else I need to know or should I be able to complete it with what you have told me?

A. Stevens :

Flashing it and using the broadband settings provided in the link from Unicom should connect you to the internet.

Customer:

ok I will attempt that, whwn I connect the router to my desktop, will it recognise it?

A. Stevens :

You would have to connect to the router via its network port

A. Stevens :

So plug in your desktop ethernet port to the router ethernet port and browse to the IP address in your internet browser.

A. Stevens :

IP address or URL of router typically is on a sticker on the router itself.

Customer:

thanks will try it now

A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience: 10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.