Kyle
Kyle, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  ITE, Dell Certified Systems Expert
38496439

TP-Link Powerline Extender

My TP-Link Powerline Extender was working fine ... until yesterday when there was a power cut and my BT router re-set itself. Now, even after trying to re-do the same thing I did when I first set up the TP-Link nothing is working.
Any helpful suggestions?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kyle replied 3 years ago.
Kyle :

Good Day, my names Kyle. ill be happy to assist you with your issue.

Customer:

OK Kyle, how does this work?

Kyle :

Let me find out some info, to make your situation clear to me.

Customer:

OK

Kyle :

can you send me the model of the router and extender please

Customer:

The router is a BT Broadband router and the extender is a TL-WPA281KIT

Kyle :

okay thanks, ***** ***** router connected to a seperate modem?

Customer:

No, it's all in one

Kyle :

okay great i understand, if the power cut has caused the router to reset itself, you will need you ISP info (username and password) do you have this info

Customer:

yes

Kyle :

okay, the pc you using to talk to me on is obviously not connected to the router, correct?

Customer:

It's a MacBook Air and it's connected via wi-fi to the router, which is working fine. It's just the two sets of 'home plugs' ... the one I've quoted and a Devolo dLAN 500 duo that aren't working ... although they were both working fine until the router was reset

Kyle :

okay if you are able to connect to the router wirelessly and there is a internet connection, chances are everything is still fine on the router

Customer:

Yes

Kyle :

we will need to try reconnect the to extenders

Kyle :

do these connect to the router wirelessly or wired

Customer:

yes. I've done everything I first did to connect and pair the extenders a number of times already (definition of madness!) but nothing has worked.

Customer:

Hence me asking for your help ...

Kyle :

okay to setup the extenders do you normally connect to them with a ethernet cable and enter their setup to configure the wireless?

Customer:

The extenders are wired into the router at one end, the other ends are, of course, just plugged into remote power sockets.

Customer:

Our messages crossed, sorry. What do you mean by 'enter their set up'?

Kyle :

no problem, i mean each extender unit will have a "setup" access, where you are able to set their IP addresses and setup your wireless connection to the router

Customer:

OK, how do I get into that?

Kyle :

okay just to clarify, the 2 extenders have ethernet cables between them and the router?

Customer:

Yes

Kyle :

okay you should be able to access them from your PC through the router

Customer:

OK, tell me how to do that (and it's a Mac in case that makes any difference).

Kyle :

It does kind of, im not very familiar with Mac, but ill try my best.

Kyle :

Would you consider remote tech support for a small extra fee. that way i can do the work for you.

Customer:

HOW MUCH EXTRA?

Customer:

Sorry ... I had caps lock on ... didn't mean to shout!

Kyle :

I can do it for an extra $10 for you

Customer:

Would I have to re-enter my card details?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What happens now Kyle?

Expert:  Kyle replied 3 years ago.
:Great thanks for accepting the offer.

Kindly carry out the following

1. Make sure the PC you install this on is the one with the issue and it has Internet
2. Download and install Teamviewer http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
3. Once teamviewer is installed, it will give you a ID and password. I will need these

I have provided you with my email below, you may send this info to my personal email.

Once i receive the Teamviewer ID and Password i will connect and assist you with your issue

thanks