Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I have two computers and one laptop all running Windows 7.

Customer Question

I have two computers and one laptop all running Windows 7. I have tried at various times to network them but none of them talk to each other.
I have just purchased another laptop running Windows 8.1.
Would it be a good idea to clear all the network details on each computer and start from scratch? If so how?
Can you then guide me to a successful Home Network. Which computer should I use as the master?
People have said it is easy to set up a network but I have never found it so.
Your help will be appreciated.
John
Category: Networking
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello John my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In a network like you are describing there is no "master" or server that controls the network. A simple home network like this is what is known as a peer to peer network. All computers on the network are equal.

More complex networks have a server which is known as the domian controller and has control over all of the computers in the network.

Basically what you need to do is set up a home group. This is pretty simple to do with windows 7 and 8 computers.

Microsoft made a straight forward guide on setting this up.

Please follow the instructions at the link below, read them thoroughly and do not skip steps unless instructed to:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sharing-files-printers-help#sharing-files-and-printers=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab2&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris.

I am struggling. I have used the link you supplied and briefly could see the four computers (3 Windows 7 one Windows 8.1) but they seem to have disappeared.

The three 7 computers seem to have different Network numbers and/or Lan settings.

I tried starting a new network from Windows 8.1 computer. I reached the screen "Find devices and content" but hitting return just takes me back to the "Connections" screen.

I wonder if the problem is that I have tried on several occasion to make a network. Could I delete all the attempts and start from scratch.

John

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

John,

This is a pretty simple process and you should not have to mess around with too much network settings. You just need to set them all in the same group.

If there were changes you made before then yes start from scratch using the guide I have you.

Thanks,
Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been trying to sort out the mess. Everyone tells me it is so simple. I must be simpler! Also a couple of my friends with greater Windows knowledge than me have tried without success.

I have tried to attach some screen shots, which might or might not help. However I cannot find out how to attach them.

If I clip on "see full map" in Network and sharing centre I get the message "Windows cannot ceate the network map. Responses from other devices on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network".

If I click "View network computers and devices" from "Network and Internet" I get the four computers showing. However, if I click on one of the computers it asks for a password, which I presume is the one generated form the computer I am working from, I get "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hey John,

I am sorry but I am not really available today to have a go at this with you. What I am going to do is open up the question so my colleagues can have a look and help you if possible.

At this time do not reply, when someone is ready to work with you you will receive an email.

Thanks and good luck getting it sorted.
-Chris
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. When you try to connect to one of your network computers and receive a password ***** enter the username and password ***** an account located on the machine to which you are trying to connect.
The user account you use must be a member of the local administrators group on the target computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Byron,

Thanks for your response. I am trying to make a Home Group.

I think the problem is that I have tried several times from various computers and have got conflicting addresses. Would it be possible to delete all these settings and start from scratch. If so, how. People tell me it is a simple to produce the network, but I must be simpler.

I had tried to send some screenshots but cannot find how to attach them to you. Is this possible?

John

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is possible. In the Reply area you should have a toolbar in the area above where you enter text. One of the icons is a paperclip. Clicking on that will open a dialogue box that will allow you to attach an image file.
On each of your machines open Control Panel>>System
In the section titled "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings"
The item "Workgroup:"
will show the computer's status to the right.
All machines, in order to network, need to be displaying exactly the same thing
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by conflicting addresses. If you only have a single router all your machines should be getting their network addresses from it. If you want to create a homegroup you need only create the Homegroup on a single machine (makes no difference which one you use) and from the other machines you join the newly created Homegroup. As part of the Homegroup creation process on the first machine you will be issued a Homegroup password ***** you will then enter on the other machines joining the homegroup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I misinformed you about the addresses. What I meant is that on the first computer in network and sharing centre I have Home Network and local area connection.

On the second home network and local area connection 3.

On the third home network 2 and local area connection.

With regard to the "paperclip" on pressing this a box opens with a table requesting Image URL, image descriptiom,Alignment, Dimensions, Border, Vertical Space, Horizontal Space. I just don't know what all this means.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

I hope you find this helpful
-
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

-

Don't be concerned right now about the network items mentioned above.

Create a Homegroup on one of the machines, share the folders, write down the password ***** try to join the other machines to the Homegroup.