p0llinate
p0llinate, Consultant
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

I can watch catch up TV on my PC with no buffering, but I

I can watch catch up TV on my PC with no buffering, but I get an inordinate amount of buffering on my TV. It's a UE50F5500. I have never set catch up for HD. Is there a setting I can change. The router is in the same room, about 6-7 metres away.
Regards, ***** *****
Category: Networking
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Since the router is in the same room, could you please try connecting the tv directly to the router with a wired ethernet connection, and see if you still have the buffering problem?

Nathan :

If you don't, then we know it is a wifi speed issue.

If you do, then it would indicate that this is a firmware (update needed) or hardware (processor/memory limitation) of the tv.

In either case, there are some options. Please give it a try and let me know the results.

Customer:

Hi Nathan,

Customer:

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I live in a converted barn, so when I say the TV is in the same room as my router it is on a balcony and to connect an ethernet connection requires a bit of

Customer:

Hi Nathan,

3:03 PM

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I live in a converted barn, so when I say the TV is in the same room as my router it is on a balcony and to connect an ethernet connection requires quite a bit of movement of equipment. I tried I player just before, encountered the buffering problem fairly quickly. I moved the router alongside the TV (there's a telephone point behind the TV) and connected via ethernet. Iplayer began to buffer at exactly the same point on the program. I've now moved the router back to its original position. What's the next move?

Nathan :

Based on what you've described, this then isn't a wifi connectivity issue, though it possibly could be an internet speed issue (your pc may be running at a lower resolution and not requring the same connection speed), but it is more likely a firmware issue or memory/processing limitation of the tvs "smart" hardware.

Nathan :

As a next step please go to speedtest.net on your computer and let me know the results. You'll also want to go into the samsung setup menu and look for a network/software update, if available.

Customer:

Hi Nathan,

Customer:

Hi Nathan

Customer:

I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. You certainly pointed me in the right direction. I have upgraded to the latest version of Samsung's system. I have also successfully run Iplayer both on my desktop and also on a laptop using a wireless connection. I also spoke to a friend who lives locally and he has got round the same problem by invoking Iplayer on his laptop and connecting the laptop to the television via a USB link. It;s a bit fiddly but suggests that the laptop has something greater than the TV. I'm not sure what. However, for £5.00 per month, BT say that a "youview box" connected to my TV will provide amongst other things, catchup TV. BT's linespeed monitor says that I receive a 3 meg service. Other linespeed monitors are not so generous. I will give BT a go and if it doesn't work, then I'll cancel the service. The only thing I'd like to know is what has the PC got that the television hasn't that doesn't make it buffer up the way the TV does. Is it just memory? Regards, Nick

p0llinate, Consultant
Experience: IT systems admin, network installer