Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  1-100+ Workstations. Simple or complex. Rackmount or simple routers. No problem!
59162784

I have Windows 7 on my computer. I have received a message

Customer Question

I have Windows 7 on my computer. I have received a message telling me that you have detected the fact that another computer has the same IP address as mine and telling me to contact my Internet provider, which is TalkTalk. I have contacted them and told them that as well as my desktop I have an IPad which I also use to access the internet and asked if this could be the other computer which you have detected. They have replied saying that the TalkTalk user name and password ***** unique and default and not shared with anyone. I am now completely confused and would be grateful for your comments.
Ronald G. Orbell.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Bryan :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Bryan :

All this message means is that two or more devices on your local router (Yes, your iPad is included) were inadvertently assigned the same IP address through the DHCP on your router. Normally it can be fixed by shutting off (completely powered off) all devices that connect to the internet, then bring them back online one at a time, waiting for each to be fully able to access the internet before bringing the next online. Once that is finished, the ip addresses should be reassigned.

Bryan :

If that doesn't work for any reason, I can log onto your machine remotely to set an IP address directly on your computer so that it will not conflict with the iPad or any other device.