LKT
LKT, Network Admin
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

Re: Acer Aspire5742Z. 30 November internet crashed generally.

Re: Acer Aspire5742Z. 30 November internet crashed generally. I am on fibre optic, 4 computers and ipad online. I managed to get all but Acer back on line by restarting modem/router. The Acer says 'limited access' against my router. I restarted the router several times, uninstalled it on the Acer etc. Still didn't work. Downloaded new drivers from Acer and deleted the existing ones and reinstalled the new ones. Didn't work. Connected the Acer with cable to router, didn't work. Installed a new Ethernet card, didn't work. Tried to connect to an unprotected wireless modem locally, didn't work. Tried allsorts from various forums, still no good. I am thinking it's Windows that is messing with it but don't want to carry out a reset. Any ideas???
Category: Networking
Expert:  LKT replied 2 years ago.
LKT :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today.

LKT :

Can I have you check the IP address that is getting assigned to your Acer?

LKT :

Click Start> Type cmd.exe and press enter> then type ipconfig and list for me the IPv4 address you receive including gateway addresses.

LKT :

When you have a moment to chat please let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

it says Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Customer:

Media State ....: disconnected connection-specific DNS Suffix

LKT :

Look for the info labeled under "Wireless LAN Adapter" or "Ethernet"

LKT :

you may have to scroll back up

Customer:

Do you mean in 'Driver manager' ?

LKT :

No, it the ipconfig

LKT :

When you typed "ipconfig" and was given all that info in the black screen, scroll up and down and until you find your Wireless or Ethernet adapters

Customer:

there is no list on screen apart from what I sent. It won't scroll up.

LKT :

Hmm, ok. Are they listed in your device manager?

LKT :

Is your wireless card or ethernet card listed in your device manager?

Customer:

yes Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter and Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabite Ethernet. Its says they are both working OK but when checking network manager it says there is possibly a fault on them

LKT :

Ok, can I have you do this on your Acer:

1. Click Start
2. Type CMD.exe and right click on the application that comes up and select "Run as Administrator"
3. IIn the black box that comes up type "netsh int ip reset" and press enter
4. Restart the computer

LKT :

Let me know when you have done this.

Customer:

when I type 'cmd.exe' it comes up as usual c:\users\ Pat> (my wife's name) no application and it won't accept 'run...'?

LKT :

Doesn't look like this?

Full Size Image

Customer:

no

LKT :

Does cmd.exe come up?

Customer:

just as I said with a black screen, no list

LKT :

When you do the search and cmd.exe comes up, can you right click on that, like in the picture?

Customer:

It only comes up with c:\users\pat> I type it into the box at the bottom after clicking start, is there something else I should do or something else I can type in after c:\ comes up?

LKT :

No, thats right. I am not sure why that is happening.

LKT :

Click Start> All Programs> Accessories> right-click command prompt and run as administrator

Customer:

If I open Accessories and right click command prompt it asks me what to do so I opened it and clicked 'run as administrator' now I have c:\Windows\system32>

LKT :

Yes thats fine. Now type "netsh int ip reset" and press enter

Customer:

It says resetting Global, OK resetting interface, OK and tells me to restart. Shall I do that?

LKT :

Yes, restart

Customer:

Done that, still saying 'Limited Access'

LKT :

LKT :

Then type ipconfig let me know the IP addresses listed

Customer:

no list same as before 'Windows IP Configuration' Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-interface; Media state.... etc

LKT :

Can you do the same on the computer you are on now, see how it should look.

Customer:

this one is not the same it is on windows 8 and doesn't have the start button etc so where do I go to type? I have a desktop and control panel ?

LKT :

Usually you can press the Windows + X button to get the command window up

Customer:

Got that and typed ipconfig and got the list as you said but that's on this one ???

LKT :

Yes, I was making sure it would pull something up on at least one machine.

LKT :

Where did you get the drivers for the ACER?

Customer:

From Acer

LKT :

Try saving this on a USB, transfer and then run on the Acer: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9664547

Customer:

I've got to go away for half an hour will be back at7, OK

LKT :

Yes, thats fine. What time is it there? Right now its 10:25AM here.

Customer:

Sorry didn't know we were indifferent time zones it is 18.27 now so say 19.00 appx, OK?

LKT :

Yes, thats fine.

LKT :

LKT :

Please leave a message when you are back, thank you.

Customer:

Hi back now. Been trying to download linked=9664547 but it keeps wanting to download 50199, so I did and tried to get it to fix the problem but it doesn't. I have read that it needs SP2 but I only have SP1 and as I only updated 2 weeks or so ago I can't see there is a SP2 update? Now what?

LKT :

Yes, it will download 50199 that is fine.

LKT :

Windows 7 is only up to SP1

LKT :

Is that laptop currently connected wirelessly or wired into the your router?

Customer:

It's wireless but when the problem started I wired it to the router but still didn't work

LKT :

How many wireless networks does your acer see?

Customer:

8 all locked except one

LKT :

Can I have you go to Start>Control Panel> Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center> Then on left pan click "Manage Wireless Networks"

LKT :

Let me know when you are there

Customer:

Yes got there

LKT :

Do you have any network listed here?

Customer:

just mine

LKT :

Can I have you click it and press "remove"

Customer:

Done

LKT :

Ok, go ahead and try to connect to it again.

Customer:

Done that but still limited access!

LKT :

Can you bring up a command prompt for me and let me know when its up

Customer:

OK

LKT :

Its up?

Customer:

yes

LKT :

Open one you are on right now as well, do type ipconfig and let me know your default gateway address

Customer:

192.168.1.254

LKT :

Ok, on the acer's command prompt type ping 192.168.1.254

Customer:

done, says 4 lines 'transmit failed. General failure' Then packets sent =4 received=0 lost=4

LKT :

Is your modem/router supplied by the ISP?

Customer:

Yes

LKT :

Do they, by chance, limit the number of devices your allowed on it?

LKT :

Right now I don't see any reason for it to fail, you have all the correct drivers and settings. We reset the tcp/ip stack. The only thing I can think of is a device filtering setting on your modem/router preventing access.

Customer:

Don't know, but for a year it has worked 4 computers and an ipad, perhaps not always at once, up until the internet crashed on 30 November. We put this down to a run on from 'black Friday' as they called it I am not sure though.

LKT :

Is there original hardware still installed from when the problem occured?

Customer:

Nothing has changed. There are 2 Epson printers, 2 hard drives one is only plugged in when needed to back up files. There are 2 desktops both wired to the router.

LKT :

Can you try a system restore on the acer back to when it was working correctly?

LKT :

Click Start> All programs > accessories > system tools> system restore> then choose a date you know everything worked and restore to that date.

Customer:

Did try this a couple of days after it went wrong but didn't work. The earliest date now showing is 5 December 7 days after it went wrong.

Customer:

I could try F8, it might show earlier dates?

LKT :

It would show the same dates in safemode, but we can try it there as well. Start it in safe mode with networking. Check if you can access the internet in that mode.

Customer:

No, still limited

LKT :

Any extra days for restore?

LKT :

Still the same amount of days?

Customer:

sorry had an important phone call. No, dates are the same.

LKT :

Not a problem.

LKT :

Hmm, well there really isn't anything more to suggest than to make sure your ISP doesn't limit devices and then do a full reinstall of your Windows operating system.

Customer:

That's what I thought and am dreading it , done this some time ago on another one and took ages to reinstall the software!

LKT :

It does take a while. I suggest you grab all your files you want to keep and take them off the computer before you begin. Then as soon as you have everything installed back like it was, use software like Acronis or Symantec to do a full image backup so that if something like this happens again you can use the image to backup in minutes.

LKT :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask, otherwise please use the smiley faces below to rate me. Thank you!

LKT, Network Admin
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications