Russell H.
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I have a DELL PowerConnect 5548P 48port managed network switch

I have a DELL PowerConnect 5548P 48port managed network switch that keeps rebooting and wish to fix this problem.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does it reboot with nothing attached to it (but the power, of course) ? if you haven't tried, disconnect everything from it.
If it no longer restarts, try hooking up just one device, see if it is still stable, and if it is, try hooking up another until the problem connection / device is found.

There's no other reason for it to restart, I don't think, except
1. it is defective in hardware, or
2. something it is connected to is inducing the reboots. This could be either a defective cable or some sort of device with a defective port.
or
3. if it has a reset switch, check as to whether that is being held down, or is stuck down somehow. I doubt that this is the problem - a stuck reset button would cause the switch to simply not initialize.
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience: 11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks........it reboots constantly whether anything is connected or not.

I think it is likely to be failed firmware upgrade or some such thing. Or just a configuration issue.

Andy

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

A configuration issue would not cause continuous restarts of an electronic device upon power-up initialization. Usually that means the device is 'broken', and is restarting only as a last-resort. (It should be a last-resort by design - upon startup a device is supposed to start up and stay started up.)

Otherwise, on reviewing the answer I offered late last year, I stand by what I said: the switch is most likely defective, period. If it has a parts warranty, then I advise replacing the main control-circuitry board inside it.

(And as an afterthought: before replacing anything, pick it up bodily after powering it Off, and shake it as vigorously as you can, without dropping it, listening for any noise inside it. If anything rattles inside it, or makes any sort of metallic noise, open it before getting any parts and find out whether a loose paper-clip or other metallic debris such as staples etc., might be loose inside it. If so, by crossing two connections, that could cause your problem.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Russell

Thankfully it has become a little academic - DELL have agreed to swap it out and the unit is arriving Monday.

Thanks again, Andy

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Well, that sounds like a good solution too.

And I must say that was good of Dell, wasn't it?

Since I put some time and thought into the case, would you mind rating my Answer, so I can be paid for the work I did on your question? thanks... and good luck. (Unless you'd prefer to wait for Monday, and find out what the result is, of course.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Happy to leave a positive rating etc..

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to hear it. Please rate either (the best of two) of my Answers. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.