Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 10 years experience designing and maintaining computer network circuits and systems.
76287196

I have a samsung smart tv wired with a LAN adapter to a router(?).

Customer Question

I have a samsung smart tv wired with a LAN adapter to a router(?). Why is it that the 'network connection' often fails, and when I try to set the IP and DNS address's automatically, the DNS still shows 0.0.0.0.. (the IP address usually has some digits, which change periodically?) I cannot set this manually as I have no idea what the digits are meant to be??
Also, quite often I can be watching a recording on say, BBC, and the screen will 'freeze' with a caption saying, 'something went wrong when playing this program'.
While all this is going on, I am still able to watch any program on my laptop!!
Please can you help me to fix this problem myself? as I bought a smart tv specifically so that I could catch up on tv programs on a large screen
yours
Carole Stevenson
Category: Networking
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

Hi Carole,
If I understand you correctly, you have an Ethernet cable connecting your smart TV to your router. Can you please describe the LAN adapter that you are using. What type of input and what type of output does it have? Your smart TV should have an Ethernet port on it, and therefore you should not need a USB-to-Ethernet LAN adapter. Also your smart TV should have a wireless capability, and therefore you should not need

JoelK :

If you are using a wireless USB adapter, your smart TV should have wireless capability, and therefore you should not need a wireless LAN adapter either.

JoelK :

Your DNS correctly shows an IP address of 0.0.0.0, because you do not need a Domain Name Server for a simple home LAN. The other IP addresses should be as follows:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.x, where x can be any number between 2 and 128, as long as it is unique and not being used by any other device on your LAN. This the IP address of your smart TV, and it may be changing periodically, because your connection is unstable. (Actually, x can go as high as 254, but there is no need for this.)

JoelK :

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

JoelK :

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

JoelK :

IP stands for Internet Protocol.

JoelK :

Please get back to me, so that I can help you get this all sorted out. Now I must tell you that eve with the proper connections, you are not going to be able to get video as smooth on your smart TV as it is on your laptop, because smart TV's do not have enough memory. Your laptop probably has 8GB of RAM. This much high speed memory in your TV would add hundreds of dollars to the cost.

JoelK :

The term Smart TV is really a marketing gimmick. The TV already had enough processing power to handle live digital television, and the ability to browse the internet came for free. But this feature was included mainly to allow you to purchase Samsung content online and display static internet web pages, not to show streaming video. I am sorry to disappoint you, but that is the truth.

JoelK :

I have been speaking of the limitations of the internet connection on your smart TV. However, you can display high-quality streaming video on your smart TV through a USB port, by purchasing an external third-party device. This is not a LAN adapter, but it is a wireless USB device. Examples are Apple TV and Fire TV.

JoelK :

If you are satisfied with my information and advice, please be sure to give me a Good or Excellent rating. If you are still having problems, please let me know. If you have any more questions, of if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service.

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

JoelK :

Dear *****e,

THANK YOU FOR THE EXCELLENT SERVICE RATING. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: I have more than 10 years experience designing and maintaining computer network circuits and systems.
Dear *****e,
Carole -

I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service. I am glad that I was able to assist you in finding the best solution to your technical problem.

If you have any hardware problems in the future where I can be of assistance, please return to Just Answer and ask for me by name. Thank you.

- Joel