A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

there, I have just bought a Canon Pixma MG5550 and I am

HI there,
I have just bought a Canon Pixma MG5550 and I am trying to connect it via Wireless to my macbook and to my iPhone. I've been through the set up 3 times, each time, the printer connects fine to the Wireless network, but when I get to the end of the process, neither my macbook nor my iPhone can detect the printer. Could someone please help me? I'm following all the instructions and everything is going to plan so I have no idea to fix this.
Thanks very much in advance!
Beccy
Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

A. Stevens :

Hi Beccy -

A. Stevens :

Could you tell me how you are connecting your printer?

A. Stevens :

Are you using the "WPS" button method?

A. Stevens :

Or are you entering the security key on the printer control panel?

Customer:

Hi - thanks for stepping in to help!I'm using the WPS button method.

A. Stevens :

Do you know for sure that the printer has obtained an IP address?

Customer:

It says it has connected. that's all I know.

A. Stevens :

Do you have the manual in front of you?

A. Stevens :

There is a way to print a network configuration page

A. Stevens :

We want to make sure that the printer has obtained an IP

A. Stevens :

and that it matches the network your macbook and phone are on

Customer:

ok. I've got access to the online manual, so I'll fire it up now

Customer:

Where should I go to in the manual? Its showing me all the different application manuals

A. Stevens :

You'll want to look for "network settings"

A. Stevens :

or something to that effect

Customer:

There's nothing like that, that I can see. Really wierdly organised! I've gone to Trouble Shooting and clicked on "Problems with network communications"

A. Stevens :

Let me fire up the manual and see where exactly you should go

A. Stevens :

give me just a moment

Customer:

Now I've got an option of "Cannot detect the machine when setting up network communication". I've clicked on this and its takine me through some steps

A. Stevens :

Great - let me know what results, in the meantime i am looking at the manual as well

A. Stevens :

Have you tried doing the Access Point method?

A. Stevens :

This bypasses your router, and will connect the printer directly to your macbook and iphone via wireless

Customer:

Right now its asking me to check the Firewalls. I'll check those and then I'll try the Access Point method. but can that be done wireslessly? I thought it needed a USB connection?

A. Stevens :

No, you can do it with USB

A. Stevens :

without USB*

Customer:

oh, ok!

A. Stevens :

So yes, possibly you have a firewall either on your mac, or on the router

A. Stevens :

preventing communication

A. Stevens :

if you use the access point method, it should bypass those issues

Customer:

Great thanks. I think it must be a firewall issue. I'll bypass and try Access Point. Thanks very much for your help!

A. Stevens :

No problem

A. Stevens :

I hope I was able to help you today.
If you are satisfied with my answer, rating my answer with positive feedback with the smiley faces below would be greatly appreciated.
If you do have any additional questions please do feel free to post them here.
Thank you for using Just Answer! Have a Great Day!

Customer:

Hi there.

A. Stevens :

Hi, yes I am here

Customer:

I'm still having trouble. When I go to set up, I first go to the printer and choose the "Access Point" option, where it gives me info on SSID and password. I then go to my macbook and it gives me the option of either Wireless connection (and then starts the whole network thing again) or USB connection. On the iphone, I pick the access point option but again it just takes me through the Wireless network stuff again. Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

A. Stevens :

So when you connect from the phone/macbook

A. Stevens :

The "SSID" is the network name

A. Stevens :

and then the password

A. Stevens :

so you would want to enter the info you are seeing on the printer

A. Stevens :

in to your macbook and iphone network settings

A. Stevens :

and it should work

Customer:

Oh ok. I've gone to Printers and Scanners within my system preferences. Gone to add to a printer in there, but its not detecting.

A. Stevens :

Have you downloaded the canon software/driver on to your mac?

Customer:

Well I was downloading it and part of that was trying to detect the printer. Im trying again and its says its installing everything. Probably have it ten times over now. Ha ha

A. Stevens :

I understand

A. Stevens :

must be frustrating

A. Stevens :

Do you have any anti-virus installed on your mac?

A. Stevens :

Could be a software firewall thats preventing communcation

Customer:

I've got standard Mac anti-virus stuff. Nothing more than what comes with it, but I know that Mac prevention is uber strong. This is nuts, How can canon make a photo printer than doesn't work with Macs hey?! Thanks so much for your help. I've got to go and walk my dog now :-) I'll give you some good feedback as you've been really helpful. I'm going to try and find a number for Canon so that I can get them to fix whatever problem it is. Wish me luck and thanks again!

A. Stevens :

Not a problem

A. Stevens :

Best of luck!

A. Stevens :

I hope you are able to resolve :)

A. Stevens :

If you don't mind providing your feedback with the smiley faces below so that I can close this question for now

A. Stevens :

Would really appreciate it :)

Customer:

Sorry, just back from walking the dog. Will feedback now, All the best.

A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience: 10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.