Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have a PC, iphone and ipad. My ipad is new, an ipad air

I have a PC, iphone and ipad. My ipad is new, an ipad air which replaces my original ipad 1. I am able to make the PC and the iphone talk to each other so that calendar entries/contacts etc. appear on both devices but i am unable to make the ipad air communicate with the PC or the iphone, or the iphone and PC to talk to the ipad. there is a blockage somewhere with the ipad - perhaps through icloud. Any help gratefully received.

Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
there and welcome
Is the iPad using the same Apple ID as the computer and iPhone?
Has the iPad synched the data before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The iPad air is using the same Apple ID as the iPhone and the PC, it is also the same Apple ID as the original IPad which I had before. That original iPad is now switched off so it can not transmit.
The iPad will sync with the PC so it draws across photos and music from the iTunes site on the PC, the problem is that it will not pick up calendar entries or contacts entries when they are placed on the PC or iPhone. Likewise, if an entry is made direct onto the iPad, it does not go across to the PC or iPhone. It should happen almost immediately and through the cloud without the need to connect up manually. The PC and iPhone are 'talking' to each other through the cloud.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Henry
On the iPad go to Settings, iCloud.
Is Contacts and Calendar Ticked ?
If not, please ensure they are.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are ticked .
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, hold the home and power button on the device 10 seconds, until you see the Apple Logo.
Then release, let it restart and try to make a new contact.
Tell me if that then sychs please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that before and it did not do anything to help. I will try again.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if it still does not work, go to Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings.
Let this complete and then connect the iPad to the wifi again and tell me if it then synchs please Henry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks advice. I am going to have to sign off now as it is late in the UK and I hAve to go away until Sunday evening. I will not be at my PC again until Sunday evening so will not be able to check results until then. Is it OK with you if I contcat you again on Monday morning? Thanks help so far.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Of course Henry, there is no time limit on this and I am on on Monday.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

, i am back on line again with my ipad problem. we seem to have resolved the issue of the calendar and i am now getting the appointments to appear on the ipad and the PC and iphone, but we have not reolved the contacts, and a new contcats entry will not sync across all three devices. It appears on iphone but not on ipad.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, on the iPad, Open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.
Make sure All iCloud is selected.
Is this the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, All iCloud is selected with a tick

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, make sure it is default
Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
In the Contacts section, tap Default Account.
Make sure iCloud is selected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iCloud is selected as default account

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, Double-click the Home button to see your open apps.
Find the Contacts preview screen and swipe it up to close the app.
Press the Home button to return to your Home screen.
Wait a minute, then reopen the Contacts app.
Then tell me if they appear please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done that.

If I now enter a new contact in the PC, it appears on the iphone and the ipad.

If i enter a new contact in the iphone, it appears on the PC and ipad.

If i enter a new contact on the ipad, it appears on the iphone but NOT on the PC.

So the blockage seems to be with the PC picking up from the iCloud. If i enter a meeting appointment in calendar on the ipad it does appear on the PC so the problem is with contacts.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, on the PC open the control Panel.
Go to the iCloud control app and until the contacts.
restart the computer and re-enable the contacts again on the computer and check if it then synchs.
I can also do these steps , and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) . Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

in the control panel there is no icloud app.

could it be that my PC accesses icloud through itunes?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, which means you need to synch it with the iPad to get the contacts as this is how they get to the computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have now been on itunes and synced every button that relates to ipad and i still get no contacts update on the ipad when i enetr info to contacts via the PC.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I dont believe though you have the contacts selected Henry, else they would have come into outlook.
Can you make sure your following the instructions like here please.
Click me to view
But it is a setting which is not done correctly on the computer that is causing this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Having followed all your suggestions and having made a few trials on these machines last evening, I can now update the contacts that are made on the PC, and this information is received on the ipad. However, any changes to contacts that are mae on the ipad do not have any result on the PC.

Meanwhile, the iphone works perfectly.

So there is one link that is down - Ipad to PC in Contacts.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
open iTunes. Go to Edit and select Preferences. Go to Devices. Click Reset Sync history. Quit iTunes. Open iTunes. Connect your ipad and go back to Info. See if iPad folder on Outlook will show up.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK have done that - not quite sure what you mean by 'see if the ipad folder on outlook will show up'. The 'sync contacts with outlook' is ticked and below that the sync is with all contacts.

at the bottom of the page it says under the Advanced section, replace information on this ipad and the Contacts box is not ticked.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now add a contact on the iPad, connect it again and click Synch
Does Outlook get the contact?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, when it is connected to itunes, outlook does get the contact.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, thats good as thats what is meant to happen Henry
"So there is one link that is down - Ipad to PC in Contacts."
Which is now working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is working when the Ipad is connected to the PC/Outlook via itunes, but it should work remotely via icloud - and it is not.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, as you do not have the iCloud control panel installed. This we discussed way back Henry and that you had to synch via iTunes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** need to get the icloud control panel installed which i will attempt to do. However, I am using Windows Vista and i believe the icloud control panel will only work off windows 7 or windows 8.

is there any way round this problem Vista?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, only to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 Henry, this is a limitation you cannot get around.
Else you have to do this via itunes as we just did.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.