Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Just bought an ASUS RT-N66U (N900) router to replace my Netgear

Just bought an ASUS RT-N66U (N900) router to replace my Netgear N150. Can I just hook up the ASUS to a ADSL micro filter to receive broadband via my BT phone line? Allan
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Allan. My name is***** you question and the opportunity to assist. I'm a n66 owner myself and should be able to help you with this. Did BT supply you with an adsl modem into which you can plug in a computer and get on the internet? The n66 isn't an adsl router and would need to be connected to some type of modem as it doesn't have the ability to convert the adsl signal.

According to BT you only need microfilters in certain situations depending on how they set up your adsl service:
-
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/635/~/why-do-i-need-adsl-filters-%28microfilters%29-and-where-do-they-go%3F
-
Please take a look at the page in the link and let me know.

Thank you, Byron

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning Byron. Thanks reply, advice and link. I foolishly thought I would only need my existing micro filter: the little white device that everyone has in their home. I didn't realise that I needed a modem as well. Yesterday evening I tried (successfully) to hook my old Netgear N150 up to the ASUS. After clicking a few buttons I got access to the internet and was able to send and receive emails. I got there in the end and have noticed a slight increase in download speed: our BT package is 17 Mbt/s but we barely get 11: with the ASUS we got 12. Should I get a BT modem? Or is my Netgear N150 okay? Allan

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Allan. Your setup should look similar to this unless the Netgear is a combo unit which serves as both ADSL modem and wireless router.
graphic
I can tell from the speed designation (N150) that the Netgear is probably several years old. Given my experience with the n66 I'd keep the Asus, get the modem from BT and set things up like in the picture above.(n66 replacing HomeHub in the picture)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Byron: there are quite a few BT Hubs: I don't want to buy one that won't be right: do I need Hub 5 or earlier models?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

You'll want to get the HomeHub 5 as it incorporates all the improvements and features of the earlier models. The HH4 would also be a good choice.
Here's a comparison of the features:
-
http://tinyurl.com/HH-Comparison

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Byron - very helpful.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. A positive rating is always appreciated.