Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

This is the second time with my newish Kindle Fire that I've

This is the second time with my newish Kindle Fire that I've not been able to connect with my router - I had to contact your support desk before. Mighty irritating as my friends who come to stay can get through to my Wi-Fi and use their laptops etc to pick up their emails. I'm now constantly told Authentication Failed. Why, when everyone else can connect?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and turn on the Kindle and tell me if it now connects.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it didn't work. I still have Authentication failed - even though the Signal Strength is Excellent.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the error means the password ***** ***** rejected Kerry.
Are you 100% sure your entering it in correctly?
where are you getting the password *****?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My password ***** been the same for everything for many years, and I got the Kindle only a year ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, what is the make and model of your wireless router Kerry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

BT Homehub 2

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
On the BT Hub at the back is a reset button. Push this in for 10 seconds, then release.
Wait 5 minutes then try to connect the Kindle to the wireless network.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Authentication failed - again. But what's odd is that I couldn't send this to you earlier (after the five minute pause) because Firefox couldn't connect with your Justanswer.uk company even though we'd been in communication. I rebooted my laptop, so here we are. I think computers, IT, and all things wireless have been sent to try us!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
That was due to resetting the router Kerry, its normal.
Ok, its the password, I know you really believe it is not, but it is, 100%
Is this computer connected to the wifi? And which version of windows is it as we can get the password ***** this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's not Windows - it's a Mac

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, look on the back of the HUB on a label for wireless key
Do you see it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wireless Key (WPA) f8ebe2cddd

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, enter that on the Kindle please and tell me if it accepts it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'd already put that in a week or so ago thinking something akin to what you're suggesting. What it has underneath is Not in range While I wait for your reply I'll put it in again.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, as thats the default password.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's still Not in range - even though the hub is all of 36 inches away!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the Kindle is corrupted. We now have the correct password ***** we now need to reset the Kindle.
This will wipe all data and return it to new, but once setup you will have your books again.
To do this.
Slide down the top menu and tap "More...":
On the Settings screen tap "Device":
At the very bottom you'll see the option, "Reset to Factory Defaults". Underneath it says, "Removes all personal data from your device."
Tap this
Let this complete and when it has, set it up again connecting it to the wireless using the password ***** just got.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I keep getting emails from Just Answer, so this is my second try at answering your list which includes: Reset to favtory defaults. I've done all this, been told I'm no longer registered as the owner of this Kindle, got as far as adding the new network and its number (f8ebe etc.) and been told it's unable to connect to Wi-Fi Network. I've told it to Keep Trying twice now, and its not interested in co-operating. So?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The wireless antenna is faulty on the Kindle Kerry
We have ruled out firmware as the problem
We have gotten the correct password.
It only leaves the antenna on the Kindle as faulty.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kindle to have it replaced. It is a known problem, so it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.