Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

. I've an Epson XP-312 printer. Approx a year old. Used

Customer Question

Hi. I've an Epson XP-312 printer. Approx a year old. Used infrequently. Have head cleaned. It will copy from the plate, but from my iPad wirelessly it misses out horizontally. Either a complete line, or partial top of line.
Any suggestions please? Many thanks.
Mary Noble
*****@******.***
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question Mary, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To clarify, the printer prints a copy great, but when printing from the iPad you have the issue?
And does it print ok from a computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my answer?
Prints from the plate. Incompletely from the iPad.
Not been tried with a computer. Don't have one in the house at present.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the iPad hold the power and home button for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo, then release.
Let the iPad restart and then try to print from it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely the same problem. Missed complete lines, and then the bottom half of some others. Interestingly(?) missed the same print as previously on the same document.
Mary
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you make a new document and print that instead, or a photo, same problem Mary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard I've printed a photo. Perfectly. No missing bits.
I have to go out now, but can I hold this over?
Mary
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It looks like corrupted document Mary
When your back, make a new document and try with this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard I'm back and have tried a new document.
Absolutely the same problem. Breaks in the printing horizontally. I've compared it with the previous document, and the breaks are not at the same level on the two pages, if that makes any sense to you.
I'm using the app "pages" on my iPad to do docs.
Mary
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, hold down on the Pages icon until it moves, then press the X to uninstall it.
Then go to the App Store, install it again and make a new document
Then try to print it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard I've uninstalled then reinstalled "pages" realising afterwards I should have saved all the documents!
Anyway wrote a test page and the same break up of horizontal print.
But not on the photo I tried.......
Mary
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, download and install Docs 2 HD on the iPad and make a document with this and print it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Is this an App?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, search for it please in the App Store. Its the same as Pages.
I believe Pages is incompatible with the print app and driver for your printer, and this will confirm it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm being dim. I can see Documents Unlimited Suite by AppStore when I typed in Docs 2 HD. Is this it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, this is the App
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doc2-hd/id367343523?mt=8
IT is by Byte2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hit a nationality problem. There isn't one in the UK iTunes store. Can't I use a word processing app that appears in the UK store? Docs Unlimited by App Store? Won't it do the same job?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok, yes you can use that App for in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not good news. Took ages to download, and still the same breaking up of text.
I'm thinking of reverting to a typewriter and carbon paper!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we need to reset the iPad.
First, do you need to save any data from it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting out of my ability zone. No, I don't use ICloud, and was cross with myself for not having saved the docs before I uninstalled Pages.
Basically I wouldn't want to lose all email addresses etc, passwords, that stuff.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We need to do the reset to rule out the firmware as the issue.
Can you tell me exactly what it is you need to save please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apps obviously.
Emails.
Contacts.
Anything in Notebook.
Look, this may sound a naive thing to say, but I don't want to end up in a worse situation than I am at the moment. I'm not technical, and would rather draw a line in the sand than end up with a srewed up IPad.
The worst that happens at the moment is that anything needing to be printed is emailed to another computer and printed elsewhere. Sorry but distance help can't make up for my ineptitude!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, you should be backing up anyway.
But to fix this we have to reset the iPad and set it all up again, this we cannot avoid and the apps you will have to install again.
Everything else that can be done has been done, and you know, via the photos that the printer is ok.
We would need to backup via a computer. Do you have one there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have a computer here. It's in Palm Desert. Richard I know you've done your best to help but I'm not happy to risk anything further.
So I'll just put it down to experience. It's not your fault: with my lack of knowledge I need a hands-on expert.
So over and out.
Mary
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok Mary, we do need a computer to back it up.
Then you need to reset the iPad which would resolve this for you.
We can resume this at any time if you wish
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.