Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 10 years experience designing and maintaining computer network circuits and systems.
76287196

I need a wireless connection from my BIZHUB C253 to my mac

Customer Question

I need a wireless connection from my BIZHUB C253 to my mac 10.8.5 I have average ability
Category: Networking
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. My goal is to provide professional advice and excellent customer service.

JoelK :

The Konica Minolta C253 Bizhub printer does not support wireless connectivity. You can connect your Mac computer to this printer using a USB cable. However, there is another way besides this direct connection that you can connect wirelessly. You can connect the printer to your wireless router with an Ethernet cable, and this will make your printer available to your computer without your computer being connected directly to the printer, since it has a wireless connection through the router.

JoelK :

Sorry, I was wrong about the Ethernet capability. The printer can connect to the Internet but not to your computer. You will have to use a USB cable.

JoelK :

If you are satisfied with my information and advice, please be sure to give me a Good or Excellent rating. If you are still having problems, please let me know. If you have any more questions, of if there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service.

I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!

JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : This is incorrect as I've had two laptops previously able to print wirelessly, also I have managed to get the Mac to communicate with the printer, I just can't print
JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : sorry
JoelK :

I apologize if my information was incorrect. I read through the specs on your printer, and I looked at the table of contents and the index on your printer manual, and nowhere did I see anything about a wireless connection to your computer.

JoelK :

Perhaps I can work with you to improve my service. I want to do that. However, I will need to have you tell me how you got the connection working with your previous laptops. Were they pc's or mac's?

JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : They were pc's but in one of the manuals which discusses network connections it talks about connecting to Mac using various options eg Apple tallk Or ip etc
JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : i have had the Mac detecting the printer but It won't print -
JoelK :

Did you connect to the pc's by configuring the ip address manually, or was there a wizard on the printer menu that could recognize your wireless network name (SSID) and allow you to enter the password (network security key)?

JoelK :

I have opened a new window to continue researching your issue. This conversation may show that I am offline, but I am not. I am just accessing a different window.

JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : We put the ip in manually in the laptops and today I was able to put the ip in manually on the Mac it also at one point asked for the network security key !
JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : Do I type the printer's ip into Mac or the Mac ip into the printer ?i read they have to be the same or do I need to get my router to communicate with the printer ?
JoelK :

You may need to update the drivers to support Mac OSX Mountain Lion. I will check for them on the Konica Minolta website.

JoelK :

Here is a link to the website:

JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : I did that directly from their website everything is up dated ! It's the data connection not responding in the printer , the Mac recognises the printer the printer is just not responding
JoelK :

The title of this page is Windows drivers, but if you look carefully and scroll down to the bottom, you will see links to the Mac drivers for the various OSX versions.

JoelK :

I got what you said about the mac recognizing the printer but the printer not responding. This is a symptom of having the incorrect drivers.

JoelK :

The drivers could be correct but not installed correctly. Did you reset the printing system on your mac before you installed the drivers. There is an undocumented feature on the mac which resets the printing system.

JoelK :

You can try it now. To reset the printing system, open the printer window. Then hold down the Command key and select the [+] sign next to the Add Printer label. Please do this and see if you haven't already done it, and see if it resolves the problem.

JoelK :

If not, you should delete the printer icon by dragging it into the Trash container and then
1) Reset the printing system using the above procedure, and
2) Reinstall the driver using the link that I sent you.

JoelK :

Please let me know if you are still having problems printing after following these instructions.

JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : I appreciate what you are saying but I did a software up date on the Mac, I cleared the printers and I also download drivers c(checking the operating system married up to the drivers).
JACUSTOMER-vdcsbq1j- : The printer is at my office so I will try your suggestion on monday
JoelK :

Yes, but if you did that without resetting the printing system, you would not get a proper installation.

JoelK :

I will look forward to continuing this conversation on Monday.