Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I have a Carol blue tooth wireless system I use on my Shure

Customer Question

I have a Carol blue tooth wireless system I use on my Shure sm58 dynamic mic but won't work on my shure 87a super cartoid mic Why ? Both mics work fine on a cable do I need to place something between the carol transmitter and the sm 87a the conections in both mic bases seem slightly different I want the freedom of a wireless system as I am a gigging artist but the sm87a was a v expensive mic and has a better vocal sound than the sm58 I am not prepared to re buy a new wireless mic do the two mics work differently ?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, I can help you. Yes, those mics work differently. The 87a requires phantom power, which is why it works with a cord, but not wirelessly. We'll need to either switch out that mic with its competitor, the Sennheiser e835, or we'll have to inject power into the XLR to power the mic.
This will do the trick, even though it's a different brand. It supplies +48 volts to your mic to get it working:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/296080-REG/Countryman_AXBPM_Battery_Power_Module.html
Let me know if you have any questions.